• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Free electicity! Advice needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free electicity! Advice needed.

Tricky one this, as the last occupants should have submitted a final meter reading before they left. I think this might be the time to tell the electricity company that you live there, they are then going to ask how long you have been there. They are then going to guesstimate your usage which might come as a shockingly big bill. The longer you put this off the higher the bill will be. Unless you are willing to up sticks and move out quickly, you best get it done and hope they are leinient. The most they can demand from you is 2 years worth of electricity, to work that out they will monitor usage over a shorter period, maybe a month and times it by 24. So tell them, let them monitor your usage (maybe go on holiday for some of that time to keep it low) then see what the bill is like.

Good luck.
    Hod..Liam..
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyolddog View Post
      The most they can demand from you is 2 years worth of electricity, to work that out they will monitor usage over a shorter period, maybe a month and times it by 24. So tell them, let them monitor your usage (maybe go on holiday for some of that time to keep it low) then see what the bill is like.

Good luck.
      Hod..Liam..
      It used to be two years, as of July 2007 this was reduced to one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
        It used to be two years, as of July 2007 this was reduced to one year.
        Wow great result. I wish it was me who had this stroke of luck, my electricity bill is £60 a month.
        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Hi people,

sorry i have been away so long... do you have an update on this at all?

Loulou
          Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
          For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
          And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

Just thought I would let you know of my experience.
            I tried to swap gas & electric suppliers. The gas changed but the electric said I still owed a small amount of money when that is paid I can swap.

I paid and received a statement saying I owe nothing and they where sorry I was leaving. Time passed by and I did not receive a bill from my new supplier. I contacted them and they said I was not with them for electric just gas. So back I went to my previous supplier and asked for a bill only to be told I was not with them either!

This went on for two years then I got scared expeting a huge bill to drop through my letter box at any time. So decided to keep quiet on the matter.

I finally got a bill a couple of months ago 9 years later.
            The meter had been read every quarter over the years so they could work out how much I used.

As stated in previous posts the supplier can only bill you for the last 12 months which they did. Just under £700. They are taking this over 12 installments of approx £60 month. Great apart from the fact I am paying for this years aswell so £120 per month.

So my advice to OP is don't say anything to the supplier and just put whatever he feels he can away each month for a year for when they do catch up. You will still be given 12 months to pay but it won't be such a struggle.

PS £700 per year for 8 years =£5,600 saved. (well spent on something it's not in my purse)

Comment

Just one thing about your post is open to misinterpretation wino...

You should NOT ignore this. This will result in debt which is never a good idea. Energy companies are NOT duty bound to give you 12 months to pay off a debt, they are merely bound not to back bill a property which hasnt been bill before, for more than 12 months worth of charges! It depends on how lenient the person you speak with is at the energy provider...at the minute the focus is on unbilled debt in EON and therefore there is more of a push on getting shorter payment arrangements and money in through the door, so it sounds like your payment plan is an exception to the rule.

Loulou
              Last edited by cinders; 7th July 2008, 18:13:PM.

Comment

Sorry loulou if it sounded like I was saying ignore this matter and get away without paying this was not my intention.

I tried again and again over two years ringing and writing to the suppliers to sort out the 'missing bills. The original poster has said that they too have tried to sort their bills out with the supplier to no avail.

One day whether tomorrow or several years down the line the op will be contacted and will have to pay for electric. My advice is to put the money away each month so as not to get stung with a large bill when it eventually comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by wino View Post
                  Sorry loulou if it sounded like I was saying ignore this matter and get away without paying this was not my intention.

I tried again and again over two years ringing and writing to the suppliers to sort out the 'missing bills. The original poster has said that they too have tried to sort their bills out with the supplier to no avail.

One day whether tomorrow or several years down the line the op will be contacted and will have to pay for electric. My advice is to put the money away each month so as not to get stung with a large bill when it eventually comes in.

Precisely the right advice too wino... and you are right, eventually they will catch up with the billing, and although they can only back bill for 1 year, its still going to sting when the bill comes through...

Loulou

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X