• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Motorcycle Impounded at fault of DVLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Impounded at fault of DVLA

Hi, I've just returned back from a business trip to find my motorcycle had been impounded by NSL services limited in Croydon for the last 5 days.

I called the pound (extremely rude and combative) who were are holding my bike ransom and told me my bike would be disposed of in the next few days if I don't cough up £500 and a valid tax disc. I then visited the post office with the slip I received when I purchased the bike to try and renew the tax but I was told that I'd need proof of insurance and my V5. Unfortunately I've still not received my V5 documentation or Tax renewal notices which I need to supply before the bike can be released.

The DVLA who informed be that a block was mistakenly put on my V5 from being sent out due to an error on there part and this is why I have not received it. I've now been told by the DVLA it could take up to another 4-5 days to get the block lifted and tax sorted, meanwhile its costing me ~£27 per day and I'll need to get over £500 together just to release my bike which was by no fault of my own impounded.

Aside from having to deal with the rude and contact at the impound, I finally managed to extract the information from her she can release the bike if I have get the bike taxed but if must have private land I can put it on it will get clamped again.

This has caused all sorts of issues with being busy at work and not to mention the ridiculous amount of phone calls and run around at no fault of my own.

Please help as its a catch 22 and I'm afraid my bike will be disposed of at no direct fault of my own as Im unable to get it taxed without the block being removed and therefore released and I'm not sure what my options are even if I pay the + £500 which I don't think I should be out of pocket for.

Many thanks,
    Tags: None

Re: Motorcycle Impounded at fault of DVLA

Can I just clarify that your bike was impounded for having no valid tax disc on a public road? If so, that is, I'm afraid, an offence of which I suspect you were probably aware.

I appreciate this is not a helpful answer in terms of resolving your issue, but if that was the offence for which you were clamped and subsequently impounded, it seems to me it was legitimate.

I'm interested in this CSL - I don't think they are bailiffs in their own right, so must emply private bailiffs if a bailiff impounded this. Are you able to expand a bit?

Comment

May I enlighten you, Labman?

NSL are one of the private sector companies that steal motorists' vehicles and crush them on behalf of DVLA. The other is VEAS, which is owned by Capita. NSL is well-known for the aggressive behaviour of its operatives and one almost got a Size 11 police boot up their backside and a good hard slap from a motorist when they attempted to remove a vehicle that turned out to be taxed.

If the bike was seized as the direct result of a foul-up on the part of DVLA, then it is encumbent on DVLA to tell NSL to hold fire and waive all fees. Where was the vehicle when NSL decided to grab the bike?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

What is the value of the bike? I ask this to ascertain the likelyhood of crushing or sale. Was the bike in your driveway or garden?

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
          What is the value of the bike? I ask this to ascertain the likelyhood of crushing or sale. Was the bike in your driveway or garden?
          DVLA have admitted to messing-up, BB. If they allow NSL to sell or crush the bike, they and the SoS for Transport are in the proverbial and I can see a court telling the SoS to forget trying to make any deductions from any compensation they may be due to the OP. DVLA need to tell NSL to release the bike to the OP without charge. Neither NSL or DVLA are entitled to any payments of any description whatsoever. Has the OP emailed the DVLA Wheelclamping Unit yet? They can stop all enforcement action.

Comment

I accept your points entirely BBottle, and appreciate the information of which I was unaware. I believe from the posts of one person in the chat box the thread was accidentally posted in the Housing Section, so the OP may have lost a little time already.

Can I ask, in your experience, firstly how often the DVLA are proven to have made mistakes in this sort of situation, and secondly, what, were you still serving as a police officer, you would have done had you come across an untaxed motorbike on the public highway?

I am not trying to be deliberately obstructive, I'm trying to be realistic to see how best we should help the OP. You have made a lot of statements so far, but the only piece of advice for him/her has been a suggestion to go to court after the bike has been crushed, and your perceived consequences of any court case.

Do you have any advice as to what the OP can do NOW to stop the bike being crushed? Is it worth them paying and then reclaiming through the courts? Would the court actually rule in the OP's favour as you predict?

I don't know the answers to these as I've not come across these organisations before, so I'm on a learning curve. One thing I do know is that if I were the OP I'd want to be doing something to try to keep my motorbike. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              I accept your points entirely BBottle, and appreciate the information of which I was unaware. I believe from the posts of one person in the chat box the thread was accidentally posted in the Housing Section, so the OP may have lost a little time already.

Can I ask, in your experience, firstly how often the DVLA are proven to have made mistakes in this sort of situation, and secondly, what, were you still serving as a police officer, you would have done had you come across an untaxed motorbike on the public highway?

I am not trying to be deliberately obstructive, I'm trying to be realistic to see how best we should help the OP. You have made a lot of statements so far, but the only piece of advice for him/her has been a suggestion to go to court after the bike has been crushed, and your perceived consequences of any court case.

Do you have any advice as to what the OP can do NOW to stop the bike being crushed? Is it worth them paying and then reclaiming through the courts? Would the court actually rule in the OP's favour as you predict?

I don't know the answers to these as I've not come across these organisations before, so I'm on a learning curve. One thing I do know is that if I were the OP I'd want to be doing something to try to keep my motorbike. :beagle:
              I am happy to clarify matters, Labman.

The DVLA Wheelclamping Unit oversees the activities of both NSL and VEAS. An email to the DVLA Wheelclamping Unit should stop all enforcement action whilst the matter is looked into by DVLA. From conversations I have had with the Unit, on behalf of other people, it would appear that both contractors can be a bit "clamp happy" at times.

The action we took in my days as a copper was to complete a form relating to the tax and then trace the registered owner/keeper and check they had valid insurance and MOT. You would be surprised how many vehicles were found not to be insured and/or not MOT'd as a result of checking tax discs.

You ask how often DVLA make mistakes. The answer is too often. A neighbour almost had their car crushed had it not been for the DVLA admitting their mistake and stopping the destruction of the vehicle before it left the clamping contractor's premises for the scrapyard. It might be an idea if I submit an FOIA request to the DfT and find out just how many vehicles have been wrongfully destroyed by the DVLA over the last 2-3 years.

I do not feel the OP should let DVLA crush his bike. The situation has arisen as a result of a blunder on the part of DVLA. Also, would the OP please advise where the bike was when NSL seized it.

Comment

Where they lifted the bike from is critical, as I have known these DVLA contractors lift cars using a crane on the recovery truck and take bikes off drives due to SORN errors, as in motor SORNED, DVLA cock up

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
                  Where they lifted the bike from is critical, as I have known these DVLA contractors lift cars using a crane on the recovery truck and take bikes off drives due to SORN errors, as in motor SORNED, DVLA cock up
                  More like, contractor trying to boost income by wrongly clamping and seizing vehicles and then fleecing innocent motorists for fees. It is not always DVLA cock-ups, BB. The two contractors aren't exactly blameless themselves.

Comment

Drew411

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    An email to the DVLA Wheelclamping Unit should stop all enforcement action whilst the matter is looked into by DVLA.
                    BB - thanks for your answer again. I've highlighted the bit above as that is the most important thing said so far IMO on the thread.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. My bike was parked on the road outside of my house.

I have just received a letter that my vehicle will be disposed of on the 22nd of November if not sorted out by then.

I've also just been informed by the DVLA that they have finally sent out my V5 document which will take up to 5 working days to reach me.

Comment

Value of the bike is £5,000 and it was parked outside my house on the street.

Comment

As far as I can find out, this is the email address - I hope it works, it's impossible to find!

wheelclamping.complaints@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Comment

Originally posted by DREW411 View Post
                            I have just received a letter that my vehicle will be disposed of on the 22nd of November if not sorted out by then.I've also just been informed by the DVLA that they have finally sent out my V5 document which will take up to 5 working days to reach me.
                            Catch-22.

In the meantime, you could complete a Statutory Declaration. Send a copy (next day guaranteed delivery), to both the DVLA and NSL. That way, if the bike is disposed of, they cannot say that they didn't know what the true situation was. Your way will then be clear to claim against them.

Comment

Thank you for highlighting that and posting up the email address, Labman. PM coming your way.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X