• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclaycard issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclaycard issue

Hopefully someone can help.

I've received a letter from barclaycard alleging a debt of over 4K. I don't recognise the account number nor the amount demanded. They want an arrangement in place by today though I only received the letter yesterday.

I know Barclaycard bought up other providers but at no time since the mid 90s have I had anything to do with Barclaycard. They accuse me of not responding to Mercers, their in house debt people, but I have honestly not received a single communication from them.

I was going to ask for them to validate the debt as I have no knowledge of this issue with them. Anything else you think I need to do with this.

Obviously if it is something they have bought up there should be a deed of assignment.

Also, as an aside really, if there is a contract between two parties which one wishes to break by selling off your alleged debt to someone else as a party to the original contract should there be no consideration to you as a party. For example, if an original creditor can afford to sell your debt for 10% of total owed then, as a party to that original contract, you should be offered to settle at that 10% rate as otherwise you are being given no consideration at all in the process.

Thanks for any help received.

Regards

Josef
    Tags: None

Re: Barclaycard issue

Your 10% deal is not for you .
    First do you remember if you ever had a card with any provider that may have a debt this high on it?
    Second they may have got the wrong person?

Comment

I have had debts over time with all different amounts, some higher some lower. I don't recognise the account number or the amount of this alleged one.

Whilst you say the deal is not for me I mention it as in contracts there should be open and transparent dealings. If you, for example, go to a restaurant and without you asking me I pay your bill to the restaurant manager, he is happy (even though I didn't pay what was actually owed but he covered on his outgoings) but you haven't contracted with me, you contracted with him under his terms and conditions which you would have known about and implied acceptance by sitting down and munching, now you are dealing with me which you never wished to do and you have no idea of my terms and conditions. I'm not sure how that is a fair contract.

They may have got the wrong person, they were on the 'phone at 8am this morning but I never deal with finances over the 'phone as I have no idea who is actually calling so only deal in letters.

Surely if someone is saying you owe whatever amount then there is an onus on them to prove that this is the case.

Comment

I am no expert but I expect when a debt is sold to a DCA for 10% the balance would be a tax write off selling it to the Debtor may not have the same tax advantage,

Comment

Could also be that the actual amount ever "loaned" has actually been paid off and all that is being paid off is the constant compound interest building up. Just thinking of transparency in contract consideration which must apply to both sides.

I will ask them to validate the debt, provide the agreement and send through the deed of assignment then since it has to come from elsewhere but where I have no idea as I'm dealing with everyone I know I have a dealing with.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X