• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No payment plan on closed account?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No payment plan on closed account?

My local authority are telling me that they cannot put a payment plan in to action when the amount due is on a closed council tax account.

It is due to go to Summons Letter in December, and the Summons Date will be January 7th.

I fully accept that I'll likely have to pay £80 court fees and just get it paid off as fast as possible - it's my own mistake, and that mistake will likely cost me.

What I wanted to check is whether they are being reasonable not allowing me a payment plan on a closed account? The ideal situation would be to pay around £90-100pcm until the £359 (before costs) is paid, which I thought was a pretty timely manner in which to get it paid off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: No payment plan on closed account?

One plan will be to write (recorded) to the council with your proposal and then make the £100 pm payments commencing now.
    When you answer the summons in January you can insist on going before the magistrate.
    You can then show the magistrate that the council have acted unreasonably in not trying to come to an agreement prior to court action, and you should not have to bear the court costs.
    If your lucky you might win, and not get an LO

On the other hand be prepared to agree to pay the costs when you meet with the council official in the court house before the hearing and avoid more hassle.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X