• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Have you been subject to adverse issues due to Genesis Housing Association

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you been subject to adverse issues due to Genesis Housing Association

Hello All,

I share all your frustrations and would be more than happy to make Genesis accountable and pay for all their shortcomings and despicable behaviour. I could write a novel on what I have gone through over the past 12 months.

I'm willing and motivated to take action so please feel free to contact me if you need further evidence or need assistance in taking things further.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi there MDfrance,

Are you still working on this investigation?

If yes, would you require any info/ feedback from leaseholders who have dealings with GENESIS where service maintenance is concerned?

If no, is it possible to learn what your findings were and pick your brains on what is the best way to deal with:
      1) Extremely poor maintenance level & rising service charge fees
      2) Appalling communication with regards to service charges
      3) Appalling accounts keeping & sharing of accounts records for residents & leaseholder's inspection

Many thanks!

JLR

Originally posted by MDfrance View Post
      Dear All

I am currently investigating serious operational issues that has been adversely affecting tenants of Genesis Housing Association. I would like to find anyone who has had severe or long term problems with Genesis

The information I am seeking is along the lines of the following. Have you been subject to

Incorrect tenancy agreements e.g being put on shorthold or 5 year contracts when you should be on assured non shorthold tenancy agreements

Forced change of landlord or forcibly moved due to property sale.

Missing rent payments.

Incorrect rent accounts due to severely delayed posting of payments.

Incorrect housing benefit payments e.g missing, overpayments and underpayments and source of the problem.

Had sums added or deducted from your rent account without being informed or given reasons in writing.

Been subject to threats of eviction due to their poor account management.

Long term unresolved repair issues.

Lack of written communications in areas of concern.

Being misled or been given outright misinformation.

Applied for an SAR that has been ignored or is incomplete.

I will need to know in which area you live and which offices are dealing with your tenancy when you reply.

The country is currently in the midst of a perfect storm within the social housing sector which has been charged further by the changes in benefits and the addition of the bedroom tax. However, when there is gross mismanagement in procedural and financial operations by a social housing landlord, the tenants are the ones who severely suffer. It is leading to more people being evicted and even suicide.

When I have gather enough examples, I intend to write to the Communities and Local Government Select Committee with these to point out the severe problems that tenants are facing due to a combination of severe mismanagement specifically within Genesis and current government policy.

The issues of mismanagement with the social housing sector has meant that the financial viability it has been written down and is currently in the same band of creditworthiness as Portugal and heading to that of Greece. This means that social housing costs are going to significantly increase apart from bedroom tax and HB caps and new homes less likely to be built without serious and long term and financial implications and instability of ownership and tenancy.

The only way to address the issues is to bring them to light. The reason I have chosen Genesis is because it is too close to home and they have caused a great deal of unnecessary distress that has led to the ill health of a family member. What's more is that they are a £2.5 billion HA with 40k residents. The implications of their mismanagement are frightening and yet their issues are not uncommon in the sector and it is time to address the issue before a massive crisis comes into being. When it happens it will have a catastrophic domino effect throughout the sector affecting the security of housing for 100s thousands of tenants throughout England and Wales and it will create a ballooning waiting list through a massive housing shortage far far greater than the one we have today.

Comment

Hi I to have had bad service for a long time with Genesis, as well as other things an issue came to light recently. Their contractor Kier group plc told me when I was trying to book a repair this Jan that on their system I was coming up as a general needs tenant but when I checked with Genesis by email they confirmed that on their IT system I was showing as a vulnerable tenant. So another call trying to book this repair, (Genesis have a call divert on the number which puts you through to Kier) and Im back in the same catch 22 with Kier unable to book the repair due to their IT system saying im general needs. When pressed Kier said that this problem was widespread.and lots of vulnerable tenants are in the same boat as me.

I have an email from Genesis support team manager dated Aug 2015 that tells me the problem is with Kier and they would try to resolve this issue but when trying to book another repair in Jan this year the story is the same as explained above Ie Kier's IT system dosen't reflect what is on Genesis IT system

I suffer with ocd as well as other disabilities and I realise that ocd is related to worry but wonder if anyone else thinks this is an accident waiting to happen as I do ? For example If a vulnerable Genesis tenant calls up for an emergency repair and the call divert connects them to Kier as it will do but then Kier tell them they are coming up as general needs .

I asked my councillor for help please see www.southendlabour.com/contact but no reply as yet .

Comment

Hi,

I am new to this forum and i have never used a forum, so please be patient with my grammer etc...

I have recently had a housing transfer from genesis housing association due to domestic violence, as a part of my move, a thing called a Marek meeting which is held by the police to discuss my case and decide a move based on the risk to myself.

the mental health team, and genesis housing association also sat in on this meeting, and it was decided that i should be placed as high priority of move due to the risk.

I think a thing called adult safeguarding is taken into consideration by all parties involved.

I was categorically told verbally and not in written letter that I would be placed some were that was safe and would not experience the same problems that took place in my old property with regards to being threatened on numerous occasions by "new tennants" who had caused problems in the block due to the governments new rough sleepers initiative.

These tennants were not the reason for my move, but did cause alot of ill health due to the stress of constantly being threatened, verbally abused and having to call the police out on 3 occassions, and the police not listening to me.

I have moved into my new property and recently found out that someone living in the property has a criminal record of which they harassed another neighbour in the property. This person has mental health issues. I have already experienced some issues with this person and it has all calmed down.

But when i initially bought the situation up to the mental health team, and a genesis support worker i have been brushed aside and made to feel as though i am the instigater.

I am wondering if someone could give me advice on what more i can do, because i feel my concerns are not being taken seriously enough. And i would like to know if i have a case due to adult safeguarding issues which i feel not have been met with regards to were i have been placed.

I am already going to make a request under the freedom of information act to find out more about the issues around this property. I do not feel safe and I am living in constant fear.

Furthermore.

I read up on a case with regards to Genesis housing and a lady called Seven.

Everything in this case is almost identical to what happened to me.

The AC scaffolding company was also erected outside my flat and left for months with ladders and unattened with no security alarms. I even had to call the police because a man was climbing the scafolding and standing outside my window in 2009.

It was so dangerous because my windows were jammed open due to the wood expanding and because genesis failed to complete the repairs of the window, if i had not woken up the man would have got into my flat. My bed was right next to the window.

I feel there is a conspiracy against me, please if someone could give me advice. I would be very happy.

Comment

Hello. I replied to your post with regards to issues and Genesis housing association.

I failed to put the office dealing with my tenancy.

The office dealing with my tenancy was willesden and camden town pratts street.

Comment

I am also concerned because I found out that there are people working within the housing association who are friends with someone who I fell out with, this person is in a position of power and it makes me wonder since reading up on a lady called Seven, were allegations were made of housing staff being paid off to harrase.

It makes me wonder wether this has happened to me also. I cannot proove it, but the issues she had were similiar to mine.

Furthermore, my support worker is being rude and slamming the phone down on me, and when i recently bought up issues with my neighbour she said that because i keep on going on about it "I am asking for it".

She said it "looks like your asking for it". When i told her that what she said was completely innapropriate she told me to stay away from the other tennant, which i was.

Basicly i am being made to feel like i cannot complain and when i do it is all my fault.

I have even asked for coping strategies form the mental health team and they are telling me there is nothing they can do about the housing situation, even though nhs mental health were inolved in the safeguarding to rehouse me.

I find this all abit strange.

Comment

Furthermore the flat i moved from was immediately soled for the price of 300,000.

Every time someone moved out or were evicted they sold a property in this block.

Also most of the people causing the problems in the block all moved in from the same hostel, so they moved in at least 6 people who all new eachother, making it very difficult for the long term tennants of this block one of which is 72 years old to live peacefully and feel safe. There were also long term drug cartels working in this block and these issues were not dealt with either.

- - - Updated - - -

It is so bad, i am thinking of going private, which would increase my risk of becoming homeless as it would not be a secure tenancy. I am also working on a homeswap myself and trying to apply for a new transfer.

Comment

I have talked to my genesis support worker and told that "its like im asking for it" by highlighting my concerns. This support worker has now resorted to slamming the phone down on me or saying she has to terminate the call as the conversation is getting know were. She then tells me to speak to the mental health team.

I speak to the mental health team, having booked a meeting with the manager and my support worker and am told the same thing. They ask me the question, what do you want us to do about it?

I explained that they have not met adult safeguarding rules and they thob me off with, well we are limited in what we can do.

I fear for my safety, and worried that the situation could escelate as i am almost certain given what i have read on the internet that this housing association are now completely corrupted in some way.

- - - Updated - - -

This is exacerbating my health issues, were i have had severe throat infections due to the stress. My health was so bad this year and i had no energy, i was laying in bed for 3 months form January to march.

- - - Updated - - -

I refuse to harm myself, but have thought of it. But cannot carry it through as i will not let these people win.

- - - Updated - - -

I have made an appointment with the group LIberty, as this is my last resort.

Comment

Yes i am disgusted with Genesis,i have only been at my address,two months,i suffer from chronic severe depression,which they knew about before i signed the tenancy.They assured me the 3 other men i share with,were clean,no hassle,and that there was no trouble,or drug use.That in fact they have a very stringent zero-tolerance policy,on drugs,and anti-social behaviour.Two months in i am now nearly suicidal,because of two of the tenants,who are addicts,both of whom,have had multiple complaints,but they do nothing.I had a mild flare up in an email,saying they were idiots,and yet,they came down on that immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel for you mate,i too have no coping skills left,i've been through too much,and yet,all they care about is rent,and cleanliness.I have drug addicts in my houseshare,yet they know i suffer from chronic severe recurrent depression.Good luck mate

Comment

Hi OP.

My mother who is mentally ill (but not identified as mentally ill) and my 5 year old sister who has severe heart problems are about to face eviction from rent arrears from Genesis HA.

I have experienced the following when I have lived there:

Long term unresolved repair issues - the lifts always have a problem and very rarely are both lifts working at the same time

Lack of written communications in areas of concern - my mother was in hospital for Kidney failure and was supposed to attend court at the time. My brother called Joe the housing manager who was informed of this but nothing was done and the court issued eviction.

Incorrect housing benefit payments e.g missing, overpayments and underpayments and source of the problem.

Been subject to threats of eviction due to their poor account management.

Address: Endeavour House 47 Cuba street, London E14 8GZ and I believe the offices are based in Stratford.

It's been a very stressful time especially now that I moved back in with my mother and about to start further college studies. I'm torn between preparing for my intense studies or packing my belongings to be ready to go homeless.

If you need any more details then please feel to contact on here...We have letters etc.

Last edited by Habib; 18th September 2016, 16:28:PM.

Comment

Has your mother received a county court summons for possession of the property? Or have things escalated to the next level so she's facing an Eviction Warrant?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                          Has your mother received a county court summons for possession of the property? Or have things escalated to the next level so she's facing an Eviction Warrant?

Di

I think she received the eviction warrant. She was summoned to the courts but she was in hospital for Kidney failure as stated in my post. She didn't show me the letters (she is very secretive about everything and this due paranoia and ill mental health)

Whilst she was in hospital my brother and I opened all her letters and it was only then we discovered everything. I now believe she is facing the eviction warrant and I don't think anything can be overturned - I tried explaining this to her but she doesn't seem to understand (/refuses to understand) the vulnerable position we're currently in. I have attached documents which I hope will help
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Habib; 27th September 2016, 15:19:PM.

Comment

Hi, i was wondering if you was still investigating this matter as i have had such a stressful time with GH to the point that i have been saving for the past year to have enough money for a deposit on a private rented place. As a single mum this has been hard but whats been harder is the constant threats and intimidation i have received from genesis. I was even verbally abused by the building manager who grabbed me and was very threatening. Along with the concierge they threatened me and made it very clear and i quote 'they know where i live'. It has been appalling to live in a genesis property i have been left with no hot water in the winter for over 4 weeks being told it was not an emergency. When my front door lock was jammed and i was trapped inside they said it was not an emergency i had to call a friend to kick the door through as i had to collect my child from playgroup. I have had so many sleepless nights over everything that has happened. I will help in any way that i can to make sure they do not continue to treat anyone like this.

Comment

I have taken to the internet recently with my struggle with genesis housing. On their facebook page , twitter. gripevine and even written a blog out of sheer despair - frustratedtenant.tumblr.com . Ive had years of distress because of Genesis refusing to do anything , even ignoring the housing ombudsman , the environmental health , ignoring local councillors etc . Im at my wits end with this housing organisation.

Comment

Hello there i was just wondering due to the date of this thread,is this still an ongoing forum with regards to getting help.I am seriously depressed.Most of my issues are in fact down to Genesis.Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X