• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should I pay or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I pay or not?

Hi,
    I am completely new to this and I have recently received a parking charge notice from Parking Eye at a free car park at my local shops in Bristol for over staying the maximum time limit. I am looking for advice on this matter. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
    Many thanks,
    Confused about parking.
    Tags: None

Re: Hi from a new member

Hi and welcome.
    For starters I would suggest you click on "FORUM" at the top of the page and scroll down to "Traffic/parking related issues". There you will find all you need to begin with.

Basically you need to appeal to Parking Eye (without identifying who was or was not driving.... just refer to "the driver"). Your appeal will be declined and you will then have the opportunity to appeal to POPLA. A properly addressed appeal to POPLA should be successful. At that point more detailed advice will come from our resident experts (I'm not one of them!)

Comment

Parking Eye PCN - should I pay,appeal or ignore?

I recently received a PCN from Parking Eye for overstaying by 1 hour 22 minutes at a local retail park in Bristol. The car park is free of charge (maximum stay 3 hours) although I thought the signage stated a 4 hour maximum stay and accidentally lost track of time. The retail park is across two sites which I didn't realise are both operated by different private parking companies, however I did shop on both sites and have receipts to prove this.

I did a bit of research and read that I should just ignore the letters but am now worried that I may be taken to court if I don't pay and don't want this to affect my credit rating with a CCJ. The charge was originally £60 if paid within 14 days but it has now increased to £100!

I understand the only way they can make me pay is by taking me to court as they are not legally able to enforce a fine (only the police and council can do this). Does this mean that technically I am being invoiced for loss of revenue even though parking is free of charge???

Please help.

Confused about parking.

Comment

Re: Parking Eye PCN - should I pay,appeal or ignore?

Originally posted by confused about parking View Post
        I recently received a PCN from Parking Eye for overstaying by 1 hour 22 minutes at a local retail park in Bristol. The car park is free of charge (maximum stay 3 hours) although I thought the signage stated a 4 hour maximum stay and accidentally lost track of time. The retail park is across two sites which I didn't realise are both operated by different private parking companies, however I did shop on both sites and have receipts to prove this.

I did a bit of research and read that I should just ignore the letters but am now worried that I may be taken to court if I don't pay and don't want this to affect my credit rating with a CCJ. The charge was originally £60 if paid within 14 days but it has now increased to £100!

I understand the only way they can make me pay is by taking me to court as they are not legally able to enforce a fine (only the police and council can do this). Does this mean that technically I am being invoiced for loss of revenue even though parking is free of charge???

Please help.

Confused about parking.
        Contact all the retailers with proof of purchases. Keep all your receipts !

At the same time, because contacting the retailers isn't guaranteed, appeal to parking eye.

Dear Sirs,

I, as registered keeper, wish to invoke your appeals procedure. The driver was a genuine customers of xxx,xxx & xxxx on this date. The driver did not see the signs indicating the parking was limited to 3 hours. As such there can be no contract and the charge is penal and not a genuine pre estimate of loss.

Should you not allow this appeal please provide a popla code.

Yours etc.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X