• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unusual question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual question

Hi from a newbie just started today.

My wife and I have been meticulous in keeping our financial arrangements separate.

I am now in receipt of a High Court claim via a HCEO for around £1,000.00. (One thousand).

My wife wants to pay this electronically on my behalf using one of her deb/cred cards.

If she does, could anyone or any instance claim that she has accepted the debt herself or indeed that we could be said to be financially connected?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Unusual question

If the debt is solely in your name, it is your debt. If your wife chooses to help you pay it, it remains your debt.

In terms of being financially connected, I suspect you already are. However hard you try to keep your finances separate, as long as you are living together as husband and wife, which I'm assuming you are, then Council Tax is a joint and several liability which will link you financially, if the address alone has not already done so. That said, you can ask the CRA's to separate you from financial associates.
    Last edited by labman; 3rd November 2013, 11:24:AM. Reason: Remove unnecessary content

Comment

My apologies labman, and thank you for the response by the way, but my attempt to spotlight the issue seems to have gone wrong. My question doesn't concern cards other than, should my wife use hers to pay my debt, does the law view this as an admission by her that she has accepted the debt in my stead? Yes, I fear that financial links may already be in place for the reasons you so properly state.
      Kind regards

Comment

Originally posted by Dill View Post
        My apologies labman, and thank you for the response by the way, but my attempt to spotlight the issue seems to have gone wrong. My question doesn't concern cards other than, should my wife use hers to pay my debt, does the law view this as an admission by her that she has accepted the debt in my stead? Yes, I fear that financial links may already be in place for the reasons you so properly state.
        Kind regards
        Hi Dill,

I think I answered your question in the first line of my reply then. Apologies for then going off topic slightly - it will teach me a lesson about posting when I'm too tired. I've edited my post to reflect your question.

If that is all you wanted to know, absolutely fine. However, many fines of this size end up in the High Court for a debt to the County Court of over £600 which has not been paid. Sometimes we are able to help people further with the original debt in these cases - I may, of course be totally wrong.

HCEO's are the worst type of bailiff as they only get to earn anything at all if the collect the debt. They also do not have to give notice of any visit, and so for a 'small' debt, you may be wise to get shot of it.

Comment

Why not get her to transfer funds to your account and then pay the HCEO yourself. The transfer is private and the payment is made from your account .

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
            Why not get her to transfer funds to your account and then pay the HCEO yourself. The transfer is private and the payment is made from your account .
            I wondered this last night, but of course it may be they have to use a credit card as they don't have £1000 lying around (I haven't!) :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X