• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

36,000 cancer patients denied their last wish to die at home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36,000 cancer patients denied their last wish to die at home

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Aboutus/...dieathome.aspx

36,000 cancer patients denied their last wish to die at home - Macmillan Cancer Support

**Macmillan Cancer Support calls on the Government to make social care free for everyone at the end of life**

Almost three quarters of cancer patients in England who die in hospital beds wanted to die at home1, an estimated 36,000 people each year, according to new figures released today by Macmillan Cancer Support.

Analysis from a recent national survey of bereaved relatives and carers reveals that for cancer patients last year, care in hospitals was often subpar to the care received at home. Of those who died at home, 63% rated the overall quality of care received as excellent or outstanding, compared to only 37% of those who died in hospitals.2

Furthermore, it was reported that over two out of five (41%) people with terminal cancer were not always treated with dignity and respect by hospital doctors during their last hospital admission.

Existing Macmillan research reveals that the vast majority of health professionals (96%)3 agree that access to social care services is crucial for keeping people out of hospital. However two years after the Palliative Care Funding Review (PCFR) recommended that social care should be free for those at the end of life4, thousands of cancer patients are still spending their last remaining days and hours on a hospital ward.

Today Macmillan launches a new report, Time to choose, which sets out new recommendations for improving choice at end of life for cancer patients. It also calls on the Government to make social care free for everyone in the last weeks of life before the end of this Parliament in 2015.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: 36,000 cancer patients denied their last wish to die at home

Look at it from the other end of the telescope.

"Government wants terminally ill kicked out of hospitals because they cost too much, block beds and prevent hospitals being downsized. Macmillan agrees to front government campaign to alter public perception".

Comment

so cynical :UoU:
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

surely from a cost perspective,it is cheaper to let patients who want to go home to do so?

i've never been in a situation where someone is coming to the end so i really know nothing about it,but i know what i would choose.

Comment

Sometimes it may just not be practical for someone to be at home in their final hours or weeks.There may not be the equipment or drugs or personnel needed. I personally am a great believer in the Hospice system having seen Loros in Leicester in action. Having said that the hospice system should have much greater funding from the NHS and not be so reliant on charity, but what part of any hospital doesn't rely on charity and donations .

I have my doubts about the cost statement above.
          If someone really is at the end of life surely the last few hours or days should be spent making them as comfortable and pain free as possible which may mean that they are not aware of their surroundings. I believe as well that a hospital Dr is far more likely to provide sufficient medication to alleviate suffering even though the side effect may be to hasten the end.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X