• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should I pay parking eye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I pay parking eye

I received a PCN from parking eye, I appealed with a generic letter and was refused. I then appealed to POPLA stating I was a genuine customer along with other reasons why the fine was unfair. On seeing the evidence I sent to POPLA parking eye said had I sent them that information they would have cancelled my fine, however no where on the initial letter did it state that genuine customers were allowed to stay longer than the allowed 3 hour free limit. They have said if I pay £27 to cover the cost of them going to POPLA they will drop the case.

Should I pay the £27 or risk ending up with a £85 bill to pay

any help would be much appreciated, this thing is driving me mad

thanks

Re: Should I pay parking eye

Paying £27 is obviously the easy option.

If you want to fight keep the letter that says they would've cancelled as it'd be very interesting in court when asked why they would've cancelled had yet let them know the circumstances if you had actually caused them a loss !!

I wouldn't pay but i don't know if that's the correct thing for you to do. Would you hack it if it went as far as court ? The £27 offer would indicate they may not go to court but that's speculation.

M1

Comment

The answer to that is it depends what was in your appeal and the circumstances of the invoice in the first place.

Are you able to post up some more detail please.

Comment

My initial appeal to Parking Eye was a generic letter I found on this website, it quotes lots of legal requirements regarding parking charges including their rights to charge a fee and the high charges for parking with no loss to the company. After I was told the appeal had failed a colleague at work told me they were let off the charge because they could prove they were genuine customers staying over the allowed 3 hours limit. When I read the initial letter sent by Parking eye it does NOT state if you could prove you were genuine customers you did not need to pay the charge. I therefore sent copies of receipts and bank statements to POPLA which parking eye have subsequently seen and offered to reduce the charge to cover the cost of the appeal but stated it was my fault for not submitting the information to them within 28 days. What annoys me is if they had made this clear in their initial letter I would have sent them the required information. The ease at which they drop the charge makes me think the land owners do not want to charge their customers but I cannot find the registered owners of the land to appeal directly to them.

Comment

Have you contacted the retailers at all ?

M1

Comment

Originally posted by Matt23 View Post
            My initial appeal to Parking Eye was a generic letter I found on this website, it quotes lots of legal requirements regarding parking charges including their rights to charge a fee and the high charges for parking with no loss to the company. After I was told the appeal had failed a colleague at work told me they were let off the charge because they could prove they were genuine customers staying over the allowed 3 hours limit. When I read the initial letter sent by Parking eye it does NOT state if you could prove you were genuine customers you did not need to pay the charge. I therefore sent copies of receipts and bank statements to POPLA which parking eye have subsequently seen and offered to reduce the charge to cover the cost of the appeal but stated it was my fault for not submitting the information to them within 28 days. What annoys me is if they had made this clear in their initial letter I would have sent them the required information. The ease at which they drop the charge makes me think the land owners do not want to charge their customers but I cannot find the registered owners of the land to appeal directly to them.
            It sounds as though you might have sent an unedited version of the POPLA appeal to Parking Eye. No matter - it would have been turned down anyway. Did you get a POPLA code? If not, go back to them and ask for one.

M1's advice about approaching the retailer first is, as ever, spot on though.

Comment

Its a retail park with about 12 different shops next, boots etc so not sure who to speak to as I guess they only lease the store l can't find out who owns them. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Looks like they are saying you agreed to the contract but there were hidden sections to the contract that you were not aware of. Therefore no contract?

Comment

Its a retail park with about 12 different shops next, boots etc so not sure who to speak to as I guess they only lease the store l can't find out who owns them. Thanks for your help.
                  Firstly any and all you have a receipt for on that day.

Secondly any you have used and, preferably, have a receipt for even if it's not that day.

Lastly everyone else who you had contemplated a purchase from *cough*

If that fails search for the retail park on google. You can sometimes decipher the land owner from that.

M1

Comment

I will try contacting them, thanks.

Comment

Contacted retailers, no helpful responses so decided to pay the £27 can't take the risk of having to pay £85 so close to Xmas. Feel gutted for paying !!!! Thanks for all the helpful advice, good luck to anyone who takes on the thieving g*ts.

cheers

matt

Comment

Contacted retailers, no helpful responses so decided to pay the £27 can't take the risk of having to pay £85 so close to Xmas. Feel gutted for paying !!!! Thanks for all the helpful advice, good luck to anyone who takes on the thieving g*ts.

cheers

matt

Thanks for the update.

You have to do what is right for yourself.

M1

Comment

Received a cheque this morning for £27 from parking eye, turns out that although we paid the required amount the POPLA appeal was never stopped by parking eye even though we were told it would be. Just checked my email and POPLA found in our favour stating the amount claimed was unjustifiable, might only be £27 but feels like a lottery win, one up for the little guy !!! Thanks again for everyone's help

matt23

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X