• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hire Purchase Agreement - Faulty Car - Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hire Purchase Agreement - Faulty Car - Advice

Hi,

I have just taken a hire purchase agreement on a car with a 2012 plate and 9400 miles on the clock.

A day after getting the car I noticed the back window was not working. I booked it into the manufacturer's garage. On the way up I noticed the gearbox making funny noises when going up into 3rd gear and when going down so asked the mechanic to look at this also. He said the car needs a new rear wiper motor (however this is covered under the warranty). There is also an issue with the gearbox and the first thing to do would be an oil which would cost £78 as not covered under warranty. If the problem reoccured he would need to replace the gearbox which would cost £1000 (manufacturer may cover this). I explained I just got the car a few days ago etc and I would not be paying for the repair. Mechanic stated that this issue had been there longer than a few days. I called the garage I bought it from and they agreed to cover the cost of the oil change.

However, yesterday I noticed the car was veering to the left when I take my hands off the wheel. My dad drove the car and confirmed this and also said he thinks it might need new brake pads/discs/ We tried to contact the garage today to advise them of these further faults, however both the man we dealt with and the manager were off on holiday and there was no one that could deal with this today.

The car is booked in to the manufacturer at the start of next week to get the wiper fixed and oil change. I have also asked them to check the whole car over and give me a written report. The car was apparently serviced just before I got it, but my dad is seriously questioning this.

I spoke to the finance company who have logged a complaint. The said they have to allow 56 days for the garage to fix the car. They also said I would not be able to get out of the agreement if I wanted to. The terms and conditions state I can withdraw from the agreement within 15 days however when I mentioned this to the advisor he stated it is not a cooling off period - merely a period whereby I can pay the price in full minus interest. I think this is terribly misleading as it does not say this.

I did test drive the car and the rear window wipers were working at that point. I recall the noise in the gear change but thought it was because I wasn't putting my foot down enough on the clutch and it only did it a couple of times so I didn't think anything else of it. I didn't notice the veering to the left as I daren't let the steering wheel go for fear of crashing the car.

I signed the agreement on the premises. Do I have any rights?

Re: Hire Purchase Agreement - Faulty Car - Advice

Anyone?

Comment

Looks like you might have to reject the car.

Comment

I didn't think I could as I signed the agreement on the premises?

Comment

Have a read of this - it's quite a good article:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            Have a read of this - it's quite a good article:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/
            Hi, thanks for the link.

I'm slightly confused - I am aware that under SOGA I am entitled to a repair, replacement or reject the goods. However, is this still the case in a hire purchase agreement? What happens if the contract states otherwise?

Comment

The supplier of credit are jointly liable for the faulty goods. Someone will give the correct legislation.

Comment

Hi Wolves,

Could I just clarify that this is a hire purchase agreement, & not some other financial arrangement.

It's just that some people use the generic term 'hp', when it might be another form of finance.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X