• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Swift Advance Unregulated Credit Agreement Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swift Advance Unregulated Credit Agreement Query

Hi,

apologies if this is in the wrong place but i'm after some advice.

My partners parents have a 2nd charge on their house with Swift Advances and they are nearing the end of their mortgage term. We have asked for a redemption figure and have received a statement of account in the post.

The original loan was for £33k, interest levied is £25k and payment total £27k leaving a sub total before charges of £31.5K.

My main worries though are regarding the charges incurred. I know they have not had a great record of making payments and are clearly not in a good situation. But some of the charges seem strange. Over £2k for lost default collection charges, the very vague Other fees and charges at over £1k, and the one i'd like to ask peoples opinion on the most, Interest levied on charges incurred at over £3k. In total charges come to over £9k.

I know there is an element of irresponsible borrowing here, but this lending seem as irresponsible. To let this run for 7 years and continue to heap charge after charge to the point where the redemption figure is just under £7k more than the original amount borrowed just seem shocking to me.

I heard someone describe Swift as predatory lenders, which seems somewhat appropriate.

Has anyone had any experience of dealing with them, or can anyone spot anything in there that i might be able to challenge. I have a mind to tell my partners parents to go to a financial ombudsman but i don't know whether they are wasting their time.

Any advice at all would be great.
    Tags: None

Re: Swift Advance Unregulated Credit Agreement Query

Originally posted by giantpaperclips View Post
    Hi,

My partners parents have a 2nd charge on their house with Swift Advances and they are nearing the end of their mortgage term. We have asked for a redemption figure and have received a statement of account in the post.

The original loan was for £33k, interest levied is £25k and payment total £27k leaving a sub total before charges of £31.5K.

My main worries though are regarding the charges incurred. I know they have not had a great record of making payments and are clearly not in a good situation. But some of the charges seem strange. Over £2k for lost default collection charges, the very vague Other fees and charges at over £1k, and the one i'd like to ask peoples opinion on the most, Interest levied on charges incurred at over £3k. In total charges come to over £9k.

I know there is an element of irresponsible borrowing here, but this lending seem as irresponsible. To let this run for 7 years and continue to heap charge after charge to the point where the redemption figure is just under £7k more than the original amount borrowed just seem shocking to me.

I heard someone describe Swift as predatory lenders, which seems somewhat appropriate.

Has anyone had any experience of dealing with them, or can anyone spot anything in there that i might be able to challenge. I have a mind to tell my partners parents to go to a financial ombudsman but i don't know whether they are wasting their time.

many on here would readily describe Swift as a predatory lender!

Comment

Re: Swift Advance Unregulated Credit Agreement Query

Originally posted by giantpaperclips View Post
      Hi,

I can tell you for certain that the FOS will not look into unregulated loans if it was taken out before 6th April 2007 I understand that is the cut off date is.
      There are a lot of people who can advise you on Swift, I would direct you to the latest thread, form which you will find some more information that will assist you.
      http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...nce-After-Repo

Sparkie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X