• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My Orange Nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Orange Nightmare

I am hoping in sheer desperation that I can have some advice with this matter as my complaint with this company has led to no resolvement.

I completed my 12 month tie-in period with Orange in Nov 2007, when I decided to upgrade my service to a wireless connection on 6th january. after repeated attempts of trying to do this online and by phone it was finally agreed on 7th january.

However, when i got home I realised that I had in fact, had no service provision at all. After 4 seperate calls to them and 4 different reasons given by them, I was told to wait 24 hours as the problem should have recectified.

After 24 hours I was still without service, and after speaking to 5 different people who all gave very different reasons - ranging from BT fault to Orange blocking the line due to upgrade, I decided not to porceed with the upgrade and go with someone else.

Whilst cancelling my contract Orange stated that I was tied in for another 18 months as I had just taken out an upgrade with them, i explained that sience taking out the upgrade I had no service provision. However they proceeded to state that I was now liabel for additional fees to them.

To add insult to injury when I went to cancell my direct debit - I wass informed by my bank that they had not been taking my fees by DD but by debiting my debit card and as such I could not stop this payment with the bank merely contact the company and REQUEST that they do not take any more payment.

I have now had a call from Orange today demanding I pay the remaining 18 months contract and informing me that because I am not a new customer to orange, but merely an existing customer, normal cancellation rights donot apply.

I have requested a copy of my credit agreement, which they are refusing to send and they have stated that they will be continuing to debit my account for the new year and a half.

All in all I have had enough, they are now stating my service was blocked by BT and as it was nothing to do with them I have no leg to stand on. This information however has taken over 2 weeks to get to me, and the very reason I have now taken up a contract with somebody else.

Please help!!!! Surely I have some rights to cancell this contract?

Re: My Orange Nightmare

Hi Bigs,
    Welcome to the forum.

Using the supply of goods and services act 1982, you are entitled to cancel the contract because Orange have not fulfilled their side of the agreement. This needs to be done in writing, stating the reason of them not fulfilling their obligation and also stating the act.
    More info in this link, I hope it helps you.
    http://www.netlawman.co.uk/acts/supp...s-act-1982.php

Best wishes,
    Hod..Liam..
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Hi I have already done this but they are claiming Ihave not entered into a new contract with them merely upgrading my old one.

My point is with them is

either i have entered into a new contract with them and am therefore entitled to cancel within 24 hours

or

I have upgraded my original contract and therefore can cancel as Im already out of the 12 month tie in period.

They are stating (today) that the service was blocked by BT.

However during the calls made on the 6th and 7th, they gave a number of different answers none of which were consistant and it was based on these inconsitancies and lack of service I cancelled my contract.

It would have been easier for me to stick with orange:

1. I'd keep my email addy
      2. They were cheaper than BT

However, based on THEIR information I cancelled my contract (new or old it doesnt really matter)

advice?

Comment

Bigs, a warm welcome to the forum.
        Did you get a copy of the contract you signed with Orange?
        If so can you scan it onto the forum, excluding your personal details and signature for us to take a look at?

Comment

To Add to Natties post, did they supply the new terms and conditions?
          Did they mention the T&C's could be found online?

I have also dealt with Orange and their contracts, and had them cancelled because:
          1) they failed to provide the advertised or promised service.
          2) They failed to supply or imply any T&C's, and telling the contractee that they are available online only when they complain.

Cancel the D/D at your Bank, send the SOGA letter again recorded/special delivery.
          The fact they are refusing to supply you with a copy of the agreement, tells you they are telling you aload of Billy Bull.

Comment

SWOS, a slight misread i think on your part. They are taking a repetitive payment off the card I think. This bit the OP can stop by asking them not to take the payment from the card.

Comment

Thank you all for your responces.

With regards to the debit card payment - we have contacted them and requested, but at the end of the day they have the information and freedom, and based on their actions regarding the contract, I do not hold out much hope.

They are demanding over £240.

A letter received from them today states when I upgraded my contract I entered into a new contract tie in period.

Whether this is legal or not, surely I have rights to cancel even with tie in periods, if the service or information relating to the service (or lack of) would lead me to beleive, there would be a problem in the receipt of any broadband provision.

I sumerise:-

Upgraded at 1230 on 6th Jan
              Tried to access service at 4pm - no service. Contacted technical support was informed there was a problem with my speadtouch modem. Told to ring another number.
              2nd Call - told there was a problem with my account - need to speak to customer service.
              3rd Call - customer service - no problem with account (it was up to date), it was a technical problem.
              4th Call - Theres a problem with the line as we've upgraded your line speed (FIO - I upgraded to a WIFI, not line speed). Try In an hour.
              5th Call - There a fault with you BT line. i ask if I need to report it. They state no BT are already aware, try in 24 hours.
              24 Hours later - 7th Janaury
              6th Call - Theres a block on your line by Orange
              7th Call - We;ve unblocked the line as it shouldnt have been blocked but it will take 10 days to work
              At this stage I throw in the towell and try to cancel
              8th Call - As I try to cancell, they explain, theres no block, but a fault on my line. At this stage I call their bluff and state,
              Ive contacted BT and they have confirmed that there is no fault.
              Orange state, BT wouldnt know about the fault, only we can test the fault - which is a complete contradiction to what the operator stated the day before.

So based on the fact I had spent over 4 hours across 2 days and was no closer, in getting either my old connection or the new WI FI I was trying to upgrade to, because no one at Orange could say or Knew what was going on, I cancelled.

If Orange had given a reason and timescale, I could have coped with that and I would have probably stayed with them and just waited.

But clearly they didnt know what the problem was (or even admit to this) or know when I would be up and running, I cancelled.

At the time of cancellation I had no active broadband service. When they called in responce to my complaint and to try to get the outsanding balence off me, they claimed I had no case for lack of service, as it wasnt Orange fault I had no service.

At the end of the day I have no evidence to prove if it was their fault or not.

My gripe is, its either a new contract and I can cancel in 14 days or its not, and a upgrade of an existing contract, and therefore Im out of the 12 month tie in.

Not only do they want the penny and the bun, but Im not even allowed to access it!!!

Comment

Bigs, from what I can see i would ask Ofcom to look into this
                http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/isp/unfair/
                THis one relates to internet ISP. But you can check if there is a different aspect.
                www.ofcom.org.uk

Comment

failing any of that, there is always the court route and sue them for breach of contract and failure to supply the service.

but last resort i would think.

If you cancel the collection of payments to orange via recorded delivery letter, this can be used later if necessary to prove you have done all that you could.

This does seem to be a breach of contract by Orange and they know it.
                  Do you have any T&C's for this agreement????

Just wondered if there were any clauses regarding a discontinuance of service.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X