• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claimant failed to inform MCOL of my payment and I received a CCJ- Can I claim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claimant failed to inform MCOL of my payment and I received a CCJ- Can I claim?

HI,

In 2009 my ex-wife made a claim against me via MCOL for a small sum of money (£205.05). Regardless of the trivial nature of the claim I did not dispute as I wished at the time to move on. I informed the court that I was not disputing and would make the payment accordingly. I dully received acknowledgement by the court of this and an order to pay. I then paid the amount, with the £25 costs, to the claimant as directed, promptly and within the time period given.

All sorted? Well no as I would not be asking for advice here.

I have discovered this year that I actually had a CCJ against me from this claim. I contacted the court and they informed me that they had never received notification that I had paid the claimant. It appears that she had selected default judgement on her original claim and then did not tell them that I had paid.

I contacted the court and explained the situation where I also provided evidence that I had paid and that the claimant had received\cashed the cheque within the agreed time period. After countless telephone calls, correspondence by email and post, court fees for a certificate of cancellation etc. I have now received a cancellation of the CCJ and its removal from my records. The court had written to the claimant on two occasions, after I raised the issue, asking her to confirm my payment but she refused to reply (the second court letter required the court fee). By default I now have the cancellation.

This has been a very frustrating, embarrassing and inconvenient experience, the CCJ came to light when applying for a loan, refused, and the signing of a house rental agreement.

Can I now make a claim against the original claimant for not informing the court of my payment, I do not ask for your judgement on her intention to do this on purpose, and the subsequent ignoring of court letters which have incurred me costs for a judgement that I should not of had against me in the first place. I read in the guidance notes that the claimant is responsible for informing MCOL that I have paid but it does not make reference to any implications if they do not.

If you believe I can claim the costs of having to obtain a cancellation due to her negligence can I also claim other costs i.e. interest on the amount I paid up until the date I received the cancellation, incurred court costs and other costs (I had to pay a 3rd party to confirm the address she now lives at).

This has caused me sleepless nights (which unfortunately I cannot claim back) and I wish to make a legal redress.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated .
    Tags: None

Re: Claimant failed to inform MCOL of my payment and I received a CCJ- Can I claim?

Hi Betron, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

You received the original claim, & dealt with it accordingly.

How is it that you didn't receive notification of a CCJ?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Claimant failed to inform MCOL of my payment and I received a CCJ- Can I claim?

Hi Charitynjw,

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply. I have no idea why I did not receive any notification of the final judgement. At the time it was all very new to me. I replied to the original and then paid my dues. Now speaking with the court they inform me that the claimant did not inform them and subsequent reading tells me that it would be her responsibility and she has not replied to the recent court letters. Have I made a mistake?

Comment

The letter from the court to confirm a judgement and giving the defendant 1 month to pay or have it recorded comes from the court direct?
        Then if not paid a judgement is recorded on a register am I correct

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X