• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy

Hi

I am looking for a bit of advice please.

My husband and I have had our house repossessed (8weeks ago) as we were in arrears with our mortgage.
    We also have joint debt of £420k, which is approx 90% business related (long story).
    I fortunately managed to secure a new job on the day of our house repossession and we managed to rent a house from a private landlord.

My salary just covers all our outgoings and my husband is desperatley trying to find work. He is ex-forces (22yrs in the RAF) and cannot claim any benefits at all because he receive £520 a month military pension.
    We have no option but to go bankrupt and the Royal British Legion are helping us with the process etc

My questions are as follows:
    I understand that any money left over after our normal living expenses will be taken by the OR. But I have been told that Iwill be promoted before xmas and that I will receive a car allowance. Firstly, I have no idea how we will be able to lease or buy a car unless we save the monthly allowance. Does anyone know how the OR will look at this as it's is part of the employment contract that if an employee receives a vehicle allowance then the vehicle has to be less than so many years old etc?

Will I be better off not accepting the promotion? Would be a shame as its a great job?

Any advice would be greatly received.
    Tags: None

Re: Bankruptcy

The OR is the only person who can give a definitive answer to this. Depending on how far advanced the process is, you might try either a good accountant, or a reputable insolvency practicioner.

Comment

Re: Bankruptcy

Normally if the car is needed for your job the reason they are giving a car allowance, they cannot touch it, ie tools of the trade and don't forget car allowance will be taxed. Apart from that the OR cannot take over and above what is reasonable for you to live. They will take on behalf of your creditors for instance if you have premium bonds or any saving plans and pensions I believe.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X