• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Medical negligence? Prediabetic diagnosis not conveyed and am now Type 2 diabetic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical negligence? Prediabetic diagnosis not conveyed and am now Type 2 diabetic

Hi- recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes - went in to see doc for another reason (daughter GP) - I usually go and see her father (DaddyGP) - Daddy GP sent me for blood tests at the start of the summer - he managed to overlook the fact I was pre-diabetic (blood glucose levels between 6.0-7.0) somehow and did not let me know - by the time I saw the daughterGP it was September - she looked quite shocked this could have been overlooked and sent me for another blood test - it came back that I was now diabetic (as opposed to pre-diabetic) - been looking on the net and apparently prediabetic patients can rectify their lifestyle to avoid developing full blown diabetes............can I sue them for this negligence - I did suffer from gestational diabetes in two pregnancies (last one being 5 years ago) btw so don't know if this will be a factor or not....advice anyone?

Thank you in advance!!!
    Tags: None

Re: Medical negligence? Prediabetic diagnosis not conveyed and am now Type 2 diabetic

Did you tell the doctor before the blood test the symptoms you had which might make them suspect you had Diabetes?
    as for suing anyone for compo do you have a lifestyle that puts you at high risk of Diabetes? Do you smoke,are overweight high blood pressure or Diabetes running in the family?

Comment

Re: Medical negligence? Prediabetic diagnosis not conveyed and am now Type 2 diabetic

Hi Shush007

I'm really sorry you have been diagnosed with type2 diabetes but don't think this would be a case of medical negligence (an opinion based purely on experience, I'm neither legally nor medically qualified). The "pre-diabetic" condition seems to be a matter of opinion and interpretation by individual practitioners. It's not an exact science and mistakes can be made with the best will in the world.

I believe (again based purely on experience) that life-style changes can mitigate even the full-blown condition, that it can even be reversed in some cases and it's never too late.

It must be upsetting for you to believe that the "Daddy" GP could have done more to pre-warn you but I doubt that he would have been negligent either morally or legally.

Others here may have a different perspective.

Very best wishes - there is lots of web-based medical advice on the subject, too.

Comment

Crossed with you, Wales - a good sign I'm told!

Comment

I was diagnosed 7 years ago with type 2 diabetes. It came as quite a shock at first, although I had had the symptoms for some time. It's now under control by sensible eating, together with medication. I have learned to live with it and not let it rule my life. In some ways it was the wake up call I needed to put me on the road to a healthier lifestyle, so all the best!

Comment

Sorry hear of your diagnosis, with life style change and weight loss you can improve your prognosis. In some cases surgery can lead to a cure. To prove negligence you would have show a mistake has occurred and it has caused harm that otherwise would not have occurred. In DM, even with life style change people could still get DM. I don't think you have a case for negligence.

Comment

Im Diabetic until I told the doctor the symptoms he would never have suspected it I live with it no probs and I have only myself to blame

Comment

Originally posted by SHush007 View Post
                he managed to overlook the fact I was pre-diabetic (blood glucose levels between 6.0-7.0) somehow and did not let me know ...
                There is more leeway than you think, so to avoid undue alarm, it is often not mentioned. A follow-up test is often requested in order to see which way things are going.

... by the time I saw the daughter GP it was September - she looked quite shocked this could have been overlooked and sent me for another blood test ...
                Which is what you had.

- it came back that I was now diabetic (as opposed to pre-diabetic) - been looking on the net and apparently prediabetic patients can rectify their lifestyle to avoid developing full blown diabetes ...
                Lifestyle often has little or nothing to do with whether you develop diabetes or not.

... can I sue them for this negligence
                It is difficult to see any negligence.

Comment

Is there anyone else in your family with Diabetes? If so, this would indicate the possibility of a genetic predisposition to Diabetes. Having cared for a family member with Type 2 Diabetes, I have to say that it can be an unpredictable condition, even if you stick to the management regime to the letter.

I have to agree with what Enquirer says in their post.

Now that you have a diagnosis, do contact Diabetes UK. They have a lot of information and support to offer.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

As I said earlier I have Diabetes and so does me missus its controlled quite easily with drugs and there is plenty of help available to change your lifestyle and habits,we have meet some Diabetics who have blood counts at times in the high teens they survive just adjust their habits to control it themselfs I think we all knew enough to realise what can cause Diabetes and probably ignore most of it.

Comment

It may be worth enquiring if you have a specific member of staff at your surgery who has responsibility for dealing with patients who have diabetes. There is a nurse at my practice who is employed specifically for that purpose and will answer any questions, no matter how small to reassure you. It's also important to have a yearly diabetic retinopathy eye test as this picks up how well your diabetes is under control.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X