• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Leaving the House.Still Liable for the Council Tax????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the House.Still Liable for the Council Tax????

Hi Every one,

I am new on this forum like a new born baby, and seeking some advice from the seniors.
    Currently, we are living around 4 people in the house and Council Tax is in my name.I pay it in the beginning of every month and the guys pay me later. I am leaving the house in a week or two.I called the council today and asked them to get my name off in their books as I am leaving.They asked who else is living, I told them and told the name of one guy (I only knew the name of that guy) as they r all Europeans.Then she asked what date they moved in.I said, landlord knows about it not me.She said you need to tell this to us so that we could make him liable for the council tax after you otherwise you will be considered liable even you leave the property.I am in real trouble now that they are making me liable for even I would not be living in that house in future.

Can someone advice what are the legalities in this issue or what can i do?

Any way this is a READING BOROUGH COUNCIL.

Kind regards
    Tags: None

Re: Leaving the House.Still Liable for the Council Tax????

Hi and welcome!

First of all, it would be better if you put things in writing, if you just make a phone call, you'll have no way to prove you contacted the council. I would be inclined to write to them stating you will be moving out of the property on xx date and asking them to contact your landlord for any further information about who will be responsible for the council tax once you've moved out.

Comment

Hello Shughal

FP is absolutely right. Write to the council (keeping a copy and with proof of postage) saying that you are moving and when and therefore no longer liable for Council Tax. Give them your landlord's details as the person ultimately responsible for the property and whoever lives in it. Make sure the CT is paid up to your leaving date. The Council will then have to sort out with the LL and remaining tenants whose responsibility it is to pay CT but it will be none of your concern.

Comment

Originally posted by shughal View Post
        . . . . otherwise you will be considered liable even you leave the property.I am in real trouble now that they are making me liable for even I would not be living in that house in future.
        What the council told you is utter nonsense. *Occupiers* have a liability to pay council tax. Once you move out you will no longer be an *occupier*. Simples. If the property is empty then the Landlord/Owner is liable for council tax. It's really not your problem once you shut the door behind you

Comment

This is a very odd situation. The council must have the names of who lives there for Council Tax records. Council Tax is what is known as a joint and several liability, so you couldn't have a situation where one person is declared as liable for the bill, with three or four others living there, also liable for Council Tax but not named.

You need to write to the council and tell them you are moving out from the property on dd/mm/yyyy, so will not be liable for any Council Tax payments after that date.

Something along these lines:

Dear Sir,

Re: Council Tax

Your Ref: abcd1234

I am writing with regard to the above account to inform you that I, Mr Michael Z Deluxe will no longer be living at [Insert Address] from dd/mm/yyyy. Obviously this means I will no longer be liable for Council Tax at the address from that date.

As you will see from your records there are three other adults living in the property who will remain liable for payment of the Council Tax. I would be grateful if you could remove my name from your records, and confirm this to me in writing as soon as possible, along with details of any monies I owe up until the day I move out.

Should you have any further questions regarding this, please write to the Landlord, Mr ..........., [Insert Address] and I am sure he will be happy to help you.

Yours faithfully,

Print Name

Hope that helps. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            This is a very odd situation. The council must have the names of who lives there for Council Tax records.
            I have a vague feeling that the clue is in 'Europeans'. They may not ... er ... feature on the Electoral Roll at all.

Comment

Originally posted by shughal View Post
              She said you need to tell this to us so that we could make him liable for the council tax after you otherwise you will be considered liable even you leave the property.
              The usual lie.

Follow the advice given by previous posters. As councils are routinely incompetent and dishonest, send the written notification by Recorded Delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                I have a vague feeling that the clue is in 'Europeans'. They may not ... er ... feature on the Electoral Roll at all.
                Europe is a big continent, and includes lots of people from EU countries, with pretty much the same rights and obligations as British Citizens.

in fact, Britain is part of Europe.

I know what you mean though, however, ultimately it's the landlord's responsibility to inform the council about who lives in the property, otherwise he would be liable for the tax himself. The OP is just a tenant who is moving out, and they will have done their duty by informing the council of that fact.

I also wonder whether the council tax is in his/her name and "the guys" give him/her the money in cash later, because they are paying just for one adult.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                  I also wonder whether the council tax is in his/her name and "the guys" give him/her the money in cash later, because they are paying just for one adult.
                  . . . . and one person only on a council tax account would attract the Single Person Exemption 25% discount . . . .

You don't have to provide the council with proof of identity or immigration status when you take responsibility for council tax so the *guys* could give any old name if they want to be semi-anonymous for whatever reason. Mickey Mouse will do.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Landlord even knows the names of who's in the house since the OP says she only knows the name of one of them and she's actually living there. But if it's five or more (and the OP says it's her and "around four others") without shared facilities (i.e. not a single household) then it could be classed as an HMO which may mean that the Landlord should be paying the council tax and not the Tenants.

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/201...d-council-tax/

It's not clear whether the OP has told the council the name of the Landlord but I think she should because if it is classed as a HMO she and the *guys* could be due a nice fat rebate and the Landlord would get clobbered by the council for a HMO Licence fee

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post

But that would be very, very naughty!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X