• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No ticket on windscreen, is it legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No ticket on windscreen, is it legal?

Had a good morning winning a parking ticket for poor signage and arrived home to another. This one states, the CEO was preparing a PCN but the vehicle was driven away before the CEO had finished preparing the PCN or had served it in accordance with regulation 9.

It appears they can give out tickets in Westminster without having to prepare a ticket or place it on the vehicle.

Is this correct?
    Tags: None

Re: No ticket on windscreen, is it legal?

I believe so although i know very little about council parking tickets. With them it usually signage and small print that's key to evading them. Hopefully others might know something but you'd no doubt need scans of the ticket and pics of the parking/signs in order to help.

M1

Comment

Yes, drive-aways can be served by post. These are called Reg 10 PCN's.

Comment

Smiley how come you get these tickets or are you acting for others?

Comment

wonder if they have proof that you drove away while the ticket was being made - Wouldn't put it past the Traffic warden (Or whatever they call them nowadays) to have wrote you car details in a note book prior to coming back to see if your car was there - only to fill in the ticket and claiming you drove away. Just so they can get their bonus for the tickets they issue.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

In reply to wales, I had the most wanted van in Westminster a few years back. My business was emergency plumbing and drainage, I followed the rules but there was and still is a culture of give tickets out and let the motorist contest them. They are playing a numbers game and we are the losers.

This PCN says regulation 9, so 10 cannot apply. The actual rules say that if a CEO issued it they have to place on screen, I think that if it were a police officer or a traffic warden, it might be different. I have sent it back as No PCN issued. With this one, it states they were preparing one, so I cannot see how that is anywhere near legal. These type of tickets should be illegal.

And for the record, as up till today, 100% win rate. If I ever get a legal ticket, its paid.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              Smiley how come you get these tickets or are you acting for others?
              This is mine, I have helped others if I thought they were in the right. Todays one was in Hackney, this one is Westminster, which is in the top 3 worst boroughs for hitting the motorist.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyculture View Post

This PCN says regulation 9, so 10 cannot apply. The actual rules say that if a CEO issued it they have to place on screen, I think that if it were a police officer or a traffic warden, it might be different. I have sent it back as No PCN issued. With this one, it states they were preparing one, so I cannot see how that is anywhere near legal. These type of tickets should be illegal.
                A reg 9 PCN is one placed on the vehicle or handed to the driver:
                9. Where a civil enforcement officer has reason to believe that a penalty charge is payable with respect to a vehicle which is stationary in a civil enforcement area, he may serve a penalty charge notice—
                (a)by fixing it to the vehicle; or
                (b)giving it to the person appearing to him to be in charge of the vehicle.

A reg 10 is one served by post:
                10.—(1) An enforcement authority may serve a penalty charge notice by post where—
                (a)on the basis of a record produced by an approved device, the authority has reason to believe that a penalty charge is payable with respect to a vehicle which is stationary in a civil enforcement area;
                (b)a civil enforcement officer attempted to serve a penalty charge notice in accordance with regulation 9 but was prevented from doing so by some person; or
                (c)a civil enforcement officer had begun to prepare a penalty charge notice for service in accordance with regulation 9, but the vehicle concerned was driven away from the place in which it was stationary before the civil enforcement officer had finished preparing the penalty charge notice or had served it in accordance with regulation 9,

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...lation/10/made

They have lawfully served the PCN as per 10(c).

Be interested in their reply.

Comment

Thanks Michael, interesting rule as they have not included that on PCN, so it should fail there straightaway?

Comment

Thanks Michael, interesting rule as they have not included that on PCN, so it should fail there straightaway?
                    Except that previously you said they had, which is pretty much 10c verbatim

This one states, the CEO was preparing a PCN but the vehicle was driven away before the CEO had finished preparing the PCN or had served it in accordance with regulation 9.

Comment

exactly, it should have been served under regulation 10, which it clearly was not. the thing with a ticket like this , is it leaves it open to argue in many ways. I can only see this as another win.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X