• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Eye again

Hi,

The other day my wife and I visited a sofa shop in a retail park and parked in their car park. As we were looking at sofas - which can be a tough choice as we all know - we were in the shop whose car park it was for about an hour and then walked to another shop close by where we also spent another hour. At no point did we notice any signs relating to parking and with the car park being that of a large furniture store we would not expect there to be any charges. Then we received the letter below from which I have clearly removed identifiable information. The red areas show time-stamped photos of our car arriving and leaving from an ANPR camera. I am currently still within the initial 'discount' period. From reading this (excellent) and other forums it seems that as I did not see the sign there could have been no contract between myself and Parking Eye relating to parking (even assuming it is possible that a contract would be valid). Obviously it's a bit difficult to prove that i didn't see the sign but that is the truth. The layout of the car park was such that there were two adjacent 'lanes' from the road to the car park, one for going in, one for going out. Since receiving the notice I have found the car park on Google Streetview and now I can see that the only Parking Eye sign that was anywhere near the path i took to my space was positioned by the lane going out. It also looks very inconspicuous to me and easily miss-able. I can believe that it does comply with the minimum size requirements as stated in the BPA code, however.

My albeit uninformed view is that for there to be a claim for damages against a breach of contract, not only must PE prove all the elements of a contract were present but that my actions cost them £40 - or £70 if i don't pay quickly. Since the car park (which by the way was almost empty) was 'free' for the first 90 minutes, I don't see how this can be the case.

Not sure if it's relevant that my wife is the registered keeper of the car but i was driving, so the notice was addressed to her.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks,
    bob123
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Parking Eye again

Contact the furniture shop and stress that you are so disappointed that you can no longer consider a purchase from them if that is how they treat customers. Whether you will purchase anything is not relevant but they want your money so use this fact to your advantage.

Failing that, or if that turns in to a saga, appeal to PE who will reject the appeal then go to popla and 99% of the time you'll win with the correct popla appeal.

M1

Comment

Thanks for the fast response M1! I will do that and post the results

Comment

A small update. I called the store and clearly this happens all the time as they didn't quibble at all just asked for the reference number/date etc., and even said "they have a backlog so expect another letter" but that it will be cancelled. So clearly the advice from M1 was spot on!

Hopefully i will update soon and say it's all been cancelled ok but wanted to reiterate what M1 said about the store not wanting to lose business.

Comment

Don't let the 28 days to appeal lapse as it makes things more complex. Whilst what you posted indicates it won't matter i'd go safety first.

M1

Comment

Indeed - always better safe than sorry. :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X