• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dwf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwf

Hi can anyone help me? I have a lot of old dept , I have followed advice and not given them any info, they have just used normal tricks as in letters and phone calls. It has been quite really but today I have a received a letter from DWF on behalf of Santander saying that I'm have got to go to court on the 9th of jan 2014 at 11.30 and I should contact them in 7 days??? This dept is about 5 to 6 years old, it's to have taken along time to get to this, it's for a CCJ it's says the court date is for questioning??? It says if I don't obey this order I could go to prison for contempt of court! It also has the local county court stamp on it but it's just print! Is this real or just another way of trying to make me contact them??? What do I do now ??
    Tags: None

Re: Dwf

Why don't you ring the court and ask them.

Comment

Yes I could do just panicking a bit, just worked it out and the dept is 7 years old! I just think it's taken a while to take it to court ?

Comment

I would contact the court and ask them. If they are expecting you to go there, the court would normally write to you themselves.

There is no way you will go to prison. Debt is a civil matter, not a criminal matter!

What was the original debt for? :beagle:

Comment

Is there a CCJ on this debt?

Labman, sorry to disagree but from something PT said a while back, although debt is civil, contempt of court is not and COULD lead to imprisonment.

My best guess would be that they have obtained a CCJ possibly by default and now need to asses your assets /ability to pay. You could check your credit file or trustonline to see if there is a ccj at either your current address or a past one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemp...Civil_contempt

Comment

It might be an idea, if you can, to photograph or scan the document you have received so we can take a look. EDIT any PERSONAL details off though before uploading it to your post.

Have you moved in the last 7 years ? Could the court documents have gone to your old address ? If this is the first you have heard of the CCJ then you would need to act to get the judgment set aside if there is a defence, if not then you'd need to get income expenditure sorted to organise payment. But it is really hard to advise without knowing exactly what we are talking about.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              Is there a CCJ on this debt?

Labman, sorry to disagree but from something PT said a while back, although debt is civil, contempt of court is not and COULD lead to imprisonment.

My best guess would be that they have obtained a CCJ possibly by default and now need to asses your assets /ability to pay. You could check your credit file or trustonline to see if there is a ccj at either your current address or a past one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemp...Civil_contempt
              No need to apologise, I'm always happy to be corrected. Thanks!

Comment

I have looked to this company and they are a solicitors from Manchester ? I don't remember what this dept was for in fact I don't think I have ever taken a loan out with Santander, but I had a loan with someone for a car and have a feeling Santander took over the company it was for £15000 but paid it of to £8000 and then ran into trouble but all my debt from around that time has all gone to debt collectors apart from this ! I just can't believe it's taken this long and now there saying about a CCJ! I will post the paper work so you can take a look! I was just unsure if it's real as my dad has told me that debt collectors have been known to send moody court papers for CCJ'S ??? Thanks to you all for your help xxx

Comment

Santander took over Alliance and Leicester does that ring a bell?

Comment

I have remembered it was originally g&e money !!! I have spoke to dwf and they are a law company they said
                    that they and the court have written to me ! But I have had no letters from either ??? She basically called me a lier but if I had had something from the court I would of responded. I remember a chafes solicitors writing to me but I spoke to them and they told me that they were closing the file and sorry for any confusion I have still got this letter ! This loan was for £9995 , dwf are asking for , or should I say taking me to court for £7034.58 plus charges £8234.58! Looks like I will be going to court in January ! Thanks everyone for your help :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Originally posted by Rie1234 View Post
                      I don't think I have ever taken a loan out with Santander, but I had a loan with someone for a car and have a feeling Santander took over the company it was for £15000 but paid it of to £8000 and then ran into trouble
                      When was the last payment made?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        When was the last payment made?
                        It was I think 2009 ! I can't believe 4 years has past and now I'm going to court think I'm shocked ! :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Thing is that was to GE money I have never paid Santander anything !!

Comment

It would really help if you can get the paperwork you have been sent up on here, or type out what you have received. Sounds like it could be a means hearing but I'm pretty sure you would get the court date from the court rather than DWF if that were the case.
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Rie1234 View Post
                              It was I think 2009 ! I can't believe 4 years has past and now I'm going to court think I'm shocked ! :tinysmile_cry_t:
                              That is a pity - had it been over six years ago, the debt would now be unenforceable. (link)

You will therefore have to try using the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Make a request pursuant to section 77 (link) enclosing a Postal Order for the statutory fee of £1 and pray that Satander's paperwork is so chaotic that they cannot even provide a reconstituted "twue copy" of the agreement.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X