• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fuel Poverty Success

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Poverty Success

I felt I must share this with everyone to give hope to those who might be like we were until this morning.

For a long time now we have been suffering from fuel poverty. Despite paying more than we could really afford each week towards our gas and electricity bills with SWALEC, we were only just covering our usage and had over £1200 of debt to them.

Eventually I contacted the CEO and we were dealt with by a lady in the Executive's office of SWALEC. We sent a Common Financial Statement and they still would not change their stance. After much explaining that we simply could not afford to pay, we are too poor, we were put in touch with a trust - I will post up its name when we receive their letter.

They do grants for people in financial hardship, and after sending them proof of loads of things (everything financial), they agreed we were suffering extreme financial hardship (we have been for ages, so it was not a surprise) and they have written off the entire £1200+ debt. We have a fresh, clean slate.

The criteria are VERY strict indeed, and they need definitive proof of everything, but if, like us, you are genuine, don't give up! We could have accepted what we were first told, but we didn't and fought. Today we have reaped the rewards and are very grateful to the Trust. As I say, as soon as we receive their letter, I'll post up details.

If you are very poor, as we are, keep fighting - there is help out there if you push hard enough.
    Last edited by labman; 26th September 2013, 13:52:PM. Reason: Typo
    Tags: None

Re: Fuel Poverty Success

What sort of criteria? I don't mean chapter and verse,just the basics cos I have seen many a thread where folks skidding along on the bones of their arses and can't get help from anywhere so your success may open a new door for them.

Comment

We never had a list of the criteria, we were told they were very tight indeed. They asked for details of weekly income, any benefits, health issues and how much is spent on electricity and gas, any other household fuel costs and then a general section where you could 'put your case.' For example, if you are housebound and thus bound to use more than a household where occupants are out at work all day, that would go in there.

We were helped through our Housing Association, but given our disposable income is less than my stepson receives in benefits each week as disposable income, we were hopeful, and were fortunate.

As soon as I get the letter, I'll post up the details, as I know it's an issue that affects quite a few on here.

Everything is VERY thoroughly checked to ensure it is true - any statement you make has to be verified with some sort of proof, so say, for example, you say you suffer with a severe illness which meant you were using more fuel because of x,y and z, they would expect proof of that statement.

As long as you are genuine though, it's worth having a go - the worst they can say is no.

Details coming in next few days. :beagle:

Comment

I think this is the energy trust . All the large energy suppliers and water companies use them . The mone comes from a levy on the energy companies . If you are turned down you cannot re-apply for six months . i know one of the criteria is that you are making an effort to pay the bills .

Comment

That would certainly be true in our case - we've half killed ourselves trying to pay it, but we just do not have enough money with the price of fuel.

I didn't complete much of the form and it was sent without keeping a copy, so I'll have to wait till we get the confirmation letter back to confirm whether or not it's the Energy Trust. I know they said they dealt with a few, and were not sure if this one was still going initially. It obviously is!

Comment

I've had the confirmation letter. It is called the Priority Assistance Fund. Letter attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

So,,if you fail to adhere to the weekly payments they have suggested they can recall the deal and put you back in arrears? Have they now set them at a rate you can afford? I only ask because if you couldn't afford it before ,you can't afford it now? Or am I totally missing the point???? £120 a month is a lot to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                So,,if you fail to adhere to the weekly payments they have suggested they can recall the deal and put you back in arrears? Have they now set them at a rate you can afford? I only ask because if you couldn't afford it before ,you can't afford it now? Or am I totally missing the point???? £120 a month is a lot to find.
                It's less than we were paying before, and we agreed on that. They wanted over £200 per month before we went to this fund! At the end of the day, it defeats the whole purpose of the thing if we agree to less than we use as we'd just run up a debt again which is pointless. We have a very large house!

I know they can technically recall things if we fail to stick to the plan. However, I stated the criteria are extremely strict - you see what I mean now. They are not making it easy, but they are writing off the debt and making it possible. We are VERY grateful for that.

Our problem was in the past, where the debt built up, and we couldn't afford to repay that. We can afford to pay what we use.

It isn't necessarily for everyone, but if it helps just one person, it's worth posting. :beagle:
                Last edited by labman; 28th September 2013, 00:41:AM. Reason: Bad grammar

Comment

I should have mentioned, SWALEC is owned by SSE (Scottish and Southern Energy) who supply gas and electricity throughout the UK, so I would imagine if SWALEC have this fund, SSE customers would have access to it, or something very similar.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X