• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Income Support - help with definition of "new claim" (also, urgent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income Support - help with definition of "new claim" (also, urgent)

I found the LegalBeagles forum while searching for info on this, and there was some very good advice going on in 2010 on related subjects - I know things might be different now.

I have an Income Support claim on grounds of disability that began some time in 2006 and was paid up till 2011, when I received student loans that meant my income was more than the IS I was entitled to. I had to interrupt my studies in November 2012, had student loans from the rest of the year removed and tried to get back on IS for income. I'm still here to-ing and fro-ing with DWP, much poorer and no further along.

I have an ongoing award of NI credits via Incapacity Benefit (so on letters this shows as 'at a rate of ŁNIL') but according to DWP this doesn't count as an 'existing award'.

I keep finding hints of hope like this one from RightsNet: 'You cannot now claim income support on grounds of disability or incapacity unless your claim began before 27.10.08.' This sort of thing is hinging on definitions of 'new claim' which I can't find grounds for either way. To me it's clearly not a new claim, it's a reinstatement of an old one, but I can see why it's 'new' - yet it's still not as if I'm claiming entirely anew as my IS is awarded on the basis of my recorded disability which is on file, I don't need to go through any new assessments.

(There's a whole different saga about ESA and interrupted students - we're not eligible if we don't receive DLA/PIP - and if you don't know about this, we're starting up a campaign so hopefully you should soon.)

Two questions:
    - which legislation can I find the 27.10.08 changes to IS in?
    - is there any info anywhere, anecdotal or otherwise, about what 'new claim' means?

and a bonus one:
    - can anyone help me find ANY state support I am entitled to if not IS? is this one of those horrific loopholes?
    Tags: None

Re: Income Support - help with definition of "new claim" (also, urgent)

Hi & welcome.
    I am out of touch with all the current rules but page 8 of this document http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/is-20.pdf
    might give you a starting point.
    It isn't the statutory instrument but was a guide issued by DWP in April this year.
    I think the statutory instrument you are looking for is:http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/795/made

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X