• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Carers Allowance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carers Allowance

Hi everyone......this is a question about claiming Carers Allowance. My dad is disabled and can not walk following a stroke he had approx 2 yrs ago. He is also a diabetic (which he has been since 1968) and a side affect of this means he also now has chronic renal failure and has to have Dialysis twice a week for 4 hours each time. My dad gets Attendance Allowance. What I want to know is if I claim Carers Allowance for looking after my dad will this affect any other benefits that he and my mum get. I have already spoke to my mum and she is quite happy for me to claim Carers Allowance because she cant get it because of her pension. I aksed my mum what other benefits her and my dad get and she said, other than our pensions and Council Tax Benefit, we dont get anything else like Pension Credit, Income Support, Carers Premium etc. The only benefit they get is Council Tax. So if I claim Carers Allowance will this affect their benefit for Council Tax?

any help would be appreciated

Tags: None

Re: Carers Allowance

The benefits of the person you care for

If you claim Carer's Allowance, it could affect the amount of benefit the person you care for receives.
    The person you care for could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit. If you only have an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance and are not actually paid it, this will not affect the benefits of the person you care for.
    Informing the person you care for that you are making a claim

Because your claim for Carer's Allowance may affect the benefits of the person you are caring for, they will be asked to confirm in writing that they know you are claiming Carer's Allowance and that you are caring for them for at least 35 hours a week. This is on the claim form.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X