• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice needed please

Originally posted by jg78 View Post
    Thanks labman

is is there also something I should get to request what the debt actually is ? Is this call a cca request ?

the letter from Cabot says they now own a debt they purchased from eqidebt , at present I only know the value not what it's actually for as such ?

thanks again
    Sorry - misread your post; try this one:

Dear Sir,

Your Ref: abcd1234

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to [Insert company name].

I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which state it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable, AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and/or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed, and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed, or I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

Print Name

In the bit above print name I put this anti tamper signature strip if sending a physical copy.
    Attached Files

Comment

This May be a stupid question but in the insert company name section would I put Cabot or equidebt ?

Also on the tamper strip part would I actually sign that ? I only ask as everything I have read says not to sign anything just print your name

cheers

Comment

It's Cabot claiming to own, so you'd put Cabot in there! :beagle:

Comment

Also on the tamper strip part would I actually sign that ? I only ask as everything I have read says not to sign anything just print your name
          Thanks labman , what about the signature part ?

Comment

If sending a physical copy use the antitamper strip.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion labman , I mean if I send a physical copy I will attach the anti tamper strip above the printed name but would I then sign that strip ?

Would you also advise sending anything recorded so I can prove it was sent ?

lastly from reading other posts what is the letter you send when you also send a postal order for a pound ? I think it's called a cca request , is that something I need to have incase I need to send it ? If not when is that sort of letter appropriate ?

sorry for all the questions I'm sure they have been answers for other people thousands of times before , I'm not being lazy just asking under my own thread so any answer can be based on my own situation.

thanks in advance for any answer you time and knowledge is much appreciated

Comment

Sign on the strip

Comment

Hi again all,

So all had been quiet until today and I received a letter (looked like its been cobbled together with copy and paste for logs etc) stating a debt from HSBC had been transferred to Restons from Arrow Global.

According to the letter the agreement started in 1996 and was handed to Arrow in 2010 (I have never had anything from arrow)

Now I think this was from a credit card I defaulted on when losing my job and getting into a mess , I have never contacted anyone or made payment to a DCA etc and its not on my credit report anymore so am I right in thinking this will be statue barred ?

Any advise on what I should do with this ? I am thinking just ignore it as I certainly haven't paid anything in over 6/7 years if not longer or should I ask them to prove it with a CCA letter etc ?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comment

If it's the first letter for this alleged debt, just ignore it. If you get any further ones, if you're sure it's for a statute barred debt, you can send the SB letter; if you think it's for anything else, send a Prove It letter again. :beagle:

Comment

Thanks Labman

Comment

So all had been quiet until today and I received a letter (looked like its been cobbled together with copy and paste for logs etc) stating a debt from HSBC had been transferred to Restons from Arrow Global.

According to the letter the agreement started in 1996 and was handed to Arrow in 2010 (I have never had anything from arrow)
                        Are you saying you never got a notice of assignment saying the debt was sold to Arrow?

Restons are one of the most aggressive firms of solicitors around.

Now I think this was from a credit card I defaulted on when losing my job and getting into a mess , I have never contacted anyone or made payment to a DCA etc and its not on my credit report anymore so am I right in thinking this will be statue barred ?

Any advise on what I should do with this ? I am thinking just ignore it as I certainly haven't paid anything in over 6/7 years if not longer or should I ask them to prove it with a CCA letter etc ?
                        Contrary to popular myth, not being on your credit report doesn't mean it will be SBd, many people keep making reduced payments for years thus keeping the debt alive long after the default has dropped off. If you are SURE you haven't paid anything for at least 6 years then yes, it would be SBd.

What does the letter actually say? Does it say they have been instructed to start proceedings or something like that or are they just introducing themselves? Do bear in mind proceedings can still be issued for SBd debts, only they can't obtain judgment if you use SBd in your defence.

Comment

Are these two letters quoted below for separate debts? If so, perhaps we could get site admin to split the last posts into a new thread to avoid confusion.
                          Hi again all,

Any advice greatly appreciated
                          I have had another letter today (early postman today) this one is from Cabot financial claiming to have taken over a debt from a company called eqidebt , again neither of these are on my credit report although I think I recall the eqidebt one was on there but went past the 6 years some time ago I don't recall ever having anything from them and definitely did not contact them at all.

is there anything I should send to Cabot or just ignore it , as it's not on my report I presume it will be statue barred so they must be trying their luck , they claim I owe them £1500 , it's quite possible this is an old card although nothing states on the letter who it is just states eqidebt previously owned it

obviously I don't want to make any mistakes if I contact them.

any advice greatly appreciated

thanks

Comment

Hi Flaming Parrot,

and sorry for for the VERY late replys !

i had not heard anything from these two since posting my last reply so had not checked in , yes they were for separate debts , I certainly had not paid reduced rate payments or any type of payment that I recall , fairly certain they will be SB I pretty much got myself into the "bury your head and don't open letter mode" had a lot going on in my life at that time.

My reason for checking in again today was I had two letters today from a different company Lowell Portfolio 1 for two other debts that state were for an egg card opened in 2000 and a Capitol 1 card from 2005 , these appear to be just the usual we have got your address from a credit reference agancy and would like me to contact them to discuss payment.

Based on previous advise I will ignore them for now as they are not requesting anything or making threats (yet) or would it be wise to respond with a CCA request etc ?

any advise appreciated

Comment

My reason for checking in again today was I had two letters today from a different company Lowell Portfolio 1 for two other debts that state were for an egg card opened in 2000 and a Capitol 1 card from 2005 , these appear to be just the usual we have got your address from a credit reference agancy and would like me to contact them to discuss payment.

Based on previous advise I will ignore them for now as they are not requesting anything or making threats (yet) or would it be wise to respond with a CCA request etc ?
                              That may well be the overall advice but Lowell are special! :grin:

I'd say it would be wise to send a CCA request a.s.a.p. :typing: With those clowns, it pays to be a step ahead of them. If you look round, you'll see how fond they are of statutory demands! :mad2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X