• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debts sold to Paragon Finance and others

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debts sold to Paragon Finance and others

Hi, I have had a DMP running since June 2011 and during that period, due to reduced income and inflation etc, my payments have reduced quite a lot from the initial level - from £600+ per month to under £200.

I can see from looking at the payment history for each debt, that there seems to be a "tipping point" for the original lender to give up and sell the debt on to outfits such as Paragon Finance. I am now starting to get "limited time" offers for settling the outstanding amount - sometimes as much as 10% off!! :-)

I have two questions really -

Firstly - does anyone know how much the debts are sold for - I would imagine they go for pretty small percentages.

Leading on from this, secondly - if I respond to their "limited time" offers, how much should I be counter-offering as full and final settlement?

Hope someone can give me some guidance, I would really like to clear these if at all possible and I am hoping that two years in and a dwindling monthly payment would encourage some of them to settle, but need a steer as to how much I should be offering.

(I realise that if I get a good figure and want to pay, I need to get a third party to do it on my behalf to keep it watertight!)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

CJ xx
    Tags: None

Re: Debts sold to Paragon Finance and others

They buy portfolios of debts en masse, so it's impossible to place a specific figure on it. Some debts turn out well, some badly for the buyer. Usually it is between 10 and 20% of the overall value of debt I think.

In terms of offering F&F's on your debts, just as you worked everything out pro rata for your DMP, so you do the same for F&F's following a formula.

The Formula

Lump sum available x Each debt

÷ The total amount you owe

= Offer to the Creditor

Example

You may have £10,000 owing to 4 creditors. You can raise a lump sum of £4,000.

- You owe: £2,300 to visa

- £1,200 to a catalogue company

- £4,500 to a loan company

- £2,000 to the bank.

Use the formula: £4,000 (lump sum available) x £2,300 (debt to visa)

÷ £10,000 (the total amount you owe)

= £920 (offer to visa)

Your offer to visa is £920. You then do the same calculation for each creditor, using each individual debt in the calculation.

(With thanks to Flaming Parrot from whom I 'borrowed' this from a previous post))

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X