• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs taking £858 from us - for Council Tax that we weren't liable for

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs taking £858 from us - for Council Tax that we weren't liable for

I'll try not to drip feed but here goes.....
    Last year my husband and I rented a house in Corby Northants on a Six month tenancy. During that time we were having to claim council tax benefit as he had lost his job the year before. I'm a full time mum and carer to 2 autistic girls, and 3 other kids with no disabilities. We received the benefits without to much trouble, and in August my husband was lucky enough to be offered a job, to start a few weeks later. As the tenancy was due to end within weeks of his job starting we decided to look for a house nearer the kids schools in Kettering, another borough.

On August 28 2012 I went into the council and advised them that a) i wasn't entitled to benefit as husband was starting work, and B we were moving out of e borough and gave contact details etc.

Heard nothing until mid August this year to advise an over payment of LHA had been made, and pay before further action - I sorted that with a standing order.

Then Monday a man knocked on the door asking for my husband. I invited him in as my toddler and dog were trying to escape. He asked who I was and then said he was from Bristow and Sutor to collect payment or to remove goods on behalf of Corby BC to the tune of £857.52.

I went mental(not rude or abusive) I have been paying full council tax in this borough from the day we moved. I could not understand how we owed anything as we were on benefits etc. there was no one to contact as it was gone 7pm by then. I had to pay on my father in laws debit card to get rid of the hired chimps.

i went to Corby yesterday morning and spoke to the member of staff at their customer service desk, armed with proof of benefit from the year, council tax demand from this borough, and tenancy agreements. She seems to think I didn't tell them we were moving, that they had to trace us to our current house. I assured her I informed them myself back in August 2012, and that it is not my job to make sure people log note and action. Apparently I was billed from September to the new year for council tax, which of course I didn't pay, know about etc.

what can and shall I do? They said billing is dealing with it, but they didn't seem to realise and care that I have been really shaken up by this and have at no point apologised.
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiffs taking £858 from us - for Council Tax that we weren't liable for

You have found out the hard way unfortunately. It does appear that whoever you told when you moved never wrote it down to forward to the correct department. You have done the correct thing in going to the Council in person armed with all the relevant proofs of not being liable for the debt outstanding.

Getting back what you paid may be a little more problematic as the Council will no doubt operate at Warp Speed -5. They will not consider this an urgent matter although it is. I would issue them with an ultimatum as this was none of your doing you want it repaying within 7 days or they will face further action for its recovery for which you will hold them responsible for all costs incurred. Don't speak to the minions who answer the phone or who are on the front desk - take it further up, Head of Revenues or the Council CEO and don't be fobbed off.

Comment

I have got the contact details for the CEO, I'll cc the head of Revenues and my local councillor. Are there any sites with templates for this sort of letter, it's not something I'm very good at myself

Comment

Sorry but letter writing is not my particular forte, I tend to just say things as I find them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X