• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me asking but my Mother died in April this year and the DWP are asking to see details of her bank etc because she might have been overpaid Pension Credits. Does anyone actually know how long this process takes? Will we see any money this side of Christmas? Her will was not complicated and I, wrongly, assumed it would be straight forward.
    Could anyone let me know of their dealings with the DWP too.

I thank you in advance for your help and advice in this matter.

Bye for now:doggieyes:
    Tags: None

Re: DWP

Hi and welcome, firstly sorry about your loss and at a very stressful time this is not what's needed but unfortunately it has to be dealt with.
    If your mum was overpaid then yes it must be paid back but there are circumstances mostly to do with your mums age, assessment periods and capital. Here is info on the assessment periods etc http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/s...iod/#endsearly
    If you have a read through that then you will be better able to deal with the DWP initially instead of twoing and froing of letters etc.
    Enaid x

Comment

Speculative enquiries and random allegations of fraud are now common DWP practice.

Unfortunately, it is advisable to co-operate, although this does not mean that you should put up with being bullied. If you really wanted to, you could refuse, and challenge them to take action if they actually have any evidence.

Be aware that DWP staff will lie without hesitation, so make sure that your mothers paperwork is in order. Do not send them original documents, lest they 'accidentally' disappear.

Comment

I firmly believe that they are not entitled to that information and you must not co operate! They absolutely will lie and bully you. Just ignore them it's not your problem and they have no power over you unless you give them the power. Good luck. X

Comment

Think you will find they do have the powers,any fraud will be investigated the OP has nothing to fear if everthing is above board until y=the DWP get answers who knows if there was overpayment.
          Away from this post do some on here condone benefit fraud?

Comment

Evening all

My answer = NO, not in any shape or form!

Best wishes all

Dougal

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have all the information on board. Lets hope we, my family, do not have to wait too long for this issue to be resolved. It's hard enough dealing with a death of a loved one without being told, in no uncertain terms, that my Mother had been paid too much credit. Surely though you would have thought they would have done checks when she was alive ? Afterall, some one from the Pensions dept should, would have looked into her financial affairs or is that to easy?

Comment

Think the DWP expect everyone to tell them if their financial situation changes?

Comment

Now into November and still no word? I am getting very cross about this situation because other bills, ie funeral cost, need to be paid too. How much longer will they drag this out?

Comment

Taken over a year before .........in once case I know of the gent passed in Aug 2012 and DWP got paid in June 2013.
                    Does seem that DWP overpay an awful lot of pension credits

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                      Does seem that DWP overpay an awful lot of pension credits
                      Or that Herr Iain Duncan Schmidt regards this clawback of benefits as a legitimate tax on people being old?

Comment

its not a tax its just reclaiming money they were not entitled to if that's the case it would have been done with or without IDS and no I despise him as much as others do

Comment

I know this is an old post but I think some on here missed the word 'may' have been overpaid! The DWP do not need to see any Bank Statements etc to investigate whether they have overpaid or not as they already have that information. Overpayment is not fraud, failing to notify a change etc is in itself not fraud it has to be proven in a court of law or admitted. I just hope that the matter has been settled by now forPearson 49

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X