• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Axle82 and Lowells court action re debt already paid to Moorcroft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle82 and Lowells court action re debt already paid to Moorcroft

Hi. I have been dealing with a debt to O2 on behalf of my son who has epilepsy and does not cope with things very well (stress can trigger fits). He inadvertently ended up with 2 phone contracts due to not realising when the phone shop salesman put his old SIM card into his new phone that he would need to cancel the old contract. The outcome was that although he never used the new contract for any calls he was still liable for the monthly payment.

Two years later, over several months, he received various letters from several different debt companies about a phone account/number he had no recollection of and tried to speak to O2 who just said his account was up to date and to ignore the letters. Speaking to the debt companies was not helpful as they were not interested in anything except collecting the debt.

Eventually I went through his paperwork, found the most up to date letter which was from Moorcroft and rang them to agree an amount to settle the debt.

However, it appeared Lowells had already taken court action and he received a court summons which we completed, saying the money had been paid to Moorcroft. This was some months ago and we thought that was the end of it. Today he has had a "Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track" form from Northmapton County Court which says that "this is now a defended claim and the defendant has filed a defence".

I do not understand the form although it appears to relate to Small Claims Mediation. Where do we go from here? Having already paid £600 to Moorcroft I do not understand why Lowells are still pursuing the same debt. Help needed please!
    Tags: None

Re: Axle82 and Lowells court action re debt already paid to Moorcroft

Hi and to LegalBeagles.......Somethings certainly not right there...some of our far better informed Beagles will be able to help you

Comment

Bump:tinysmile_hmm_t2: Should we arrange a telephone mediation appointment? I am worried that my son might be asked to pay more even though Moorcroft accepted the offer of payment. I do not understand why Lowells are involved as well but it was very confusing with so many different debt companies writing to him.

Comment

We'll complete the telephone mediation form and see what happens. Hopefully that will clarify things. We are both confused as to which company the money is owed to as there were letters from Moorcroft, Westcott, Lowells and several others:noidea:

Comment

Hi, I would urge you ASAP to get written confirmation from Moorcroft that the debt has been settled in full. Ensure it has the correct account number and what it is in settlement for.

Do you have a Notice of Assignment from Moorcroft telling you they have been asked to collect the debt? :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            Hi, I would urge you ASAP to get written confirmation from Moorcroft that the debt has been settled in full. Ensure it has the correct account number and what it is in settlement for.

Do you have a Notice of Assignment from Moorcroft telling you they have been asked to collect the debt? :beagle:
            It was a letter from Moorcroft with a client ref. number, a Moorcroft ref. number and saying it was re Telefonica O2, stating that the case had been passed to their Home Collections Department and unless payment was made they would commence legal proceedings. It said that if we preferred to agree a repayment arrangement we should phone them. I rang and they agreed to take £660 (the total debt on their letter was £804) so I paid it by credit card. I have had no further correspondence from them but the amount is shown as paid on my credit card statement.
            I will ask them for a proper receipt and details of the debt but have no way of knowing if the reference numbers on their letter relate to the court claim from Lowells.
            I have returned the mediation form to the Court and also added on it that I believe the debt has already been paid.
            What a nightmare!

Comment

Do you have other debts to which the court claim could relate then? :beagle:

If you have, any details or history may be useful.

Comment

No, no other debts thankfully! Just the O2 one. I have got an email from Moorcroft confirming receipt of the credit card payment but there is no other information on it.

Comment

Can you leave this with me. I'll reply later on? If I haven't replied by say 6pm, send me a pm as it means I've forgotten (memory like a sieve!) :beagle:

Comment

Just an update - we got a letter from Moorcroft confirming the debt was paid and have heard no more from the court or Lowells. Hopefully that is an end to it

Comment

How much were Lowlifes claiming?

Comment

I would check with the Court to see if The Leeds Losers have withdrawn

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X