• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

dismissed from work - advice for getting next job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dismissed from work - advice for getting next job

Hi,

I needed some advice from you guys because my head is going crazy thinking about all this and what to do. I am very ashamed about this

A bit of background:

I was dismissed from my work place last week (i was working there for just over 2 years) for not following the correct procedure for absence reporting. I totally take responsibility for this and have learned from it and know what to do to make it better. (I emailed/text instead of calling before my shift to report absence, but called in later that day)
    My work at my company was of a high standard and in my mid year review I got highly praised by my manager.
    I have nothing bad to say about my previous employer as they have followed the correct dismissal procedure

In the space of 18 months I was given a 1st written warning, a final written warning and then this year i was dismissed.
    I was dismissed instantly after being told the dismissal hearing outcome but was given payment in lieu of notice and nothing on the paperwork given to me mentions the words gross misconduct.

During the dismissal hearing outcome with my manager and HR i asked them about references and they mentioned that my work place only gives out dates of employment and will give out more only if an employer asks for it.
    They said that I am allowed to be provided with a character reference on non-letter headed paper by a manager/another employee.
    There were no hostile moments with my manager or HR and we parted gracefully.

What I needed to know was:

a) if you go through all stages of the dismissal process(for the same thing) and are dismissed, is that instantly counted as gross misconduct?
    (In my final written warning it said that further occurrences could lead to gross misconduct, but those words were not said to me/written on any paper work given to me when I was dismissed?)

b) How do I explain something like this to potential recruiters or employers and even interviews?
    I want to tell the truth to recruiters and let them determine if i should bring it up or not in potential interviews. But I am not sure what to do.

I have read a lot about dismissals and getting another jobs on various sites but for some reason they quite fit what has happened to me.

Also I told a friend that I got made redundant (too ashamed to tell him the truth) and without my knowledge he spoke to his manager who might want to interview me (under the assumption that i was made redundant) I don't know how to correct this without my friend being told the truth too.

Many Thanks for any comments on this and allowing me to offload this on whoever reads this.
    Tags: None

Re: dismissed from work - advice for getting next job

i) Dismissal does not automatically mean gross misconduct has occured. Gross misocnduct is only one possible reason for dismissal,

ii) You might, if the reason for leaving your last job is asked about by the potential employer, say that there has been a misunderstanding with your friend and then explain what actually happened, much as you have here, stating that you have learned from this experience and want ot put it behind you.It is best to be honest before starting work there, but the combination of being honest and not bad mouthing the previous employer will make it all look as good as it can.

Comment

Most application forms require you to declare disciplinaries and dismissals. Failure to declare when asked could amount to a criminal offence.

Why was your attendance record so bad? Why did you not follow absence reporting procedure?

Comment

Hi justsomeguy,

Most references nowadays aren't negative; worst way they are neutral.

Honesty, though, is the best policy; if you fib, you could be damaging the few employment rights you will have in the new job. (for the next 2 years, that is.)
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If the form asks me to list it, then I will.

My attendance record wasn't that bad. It was the way I reported my absences that got me dismissed. I started my shifts pretty early and would have to call my manager at 4/4.30am to report I wasnt coming in. I know its not an excuse but I didnt feel comfortable waking someone up at that time so I would let a colleague know (who would be in the office and able to communicate to rest of the team I was not coming in). I would then follow up with a phone call which they didnt like.

Comment

Do you think I would be able to phone my previous HR department and ask them what type of reference they would give out and the details in there?
            would the data protection act clause about being allowed to see details being held about you not come into effect if they refuse?

Comment

Hello Justsomeguy

The way you have described it here sounds totally understandable and excusable. As Springer and Charity have said above I would have thought any reasonable potential employer would appreciate your honesty and consideration for others.:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X