• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Stuck in a joint mortgage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in a joint mortgage

Hi there,

I joint own a property with my ex husband, there is a court order that states he pay me the mortgage money and half the profit which he has not upheld and he is not paying the mortgage. He has CCJS in his name against the house and the house is in negative equity. If he were to go bankrupt what would happen about the CCJS?

I have tried to take over the mortgage but a barrister advised me not to due the CCJS, he can not take me off the mortgage due to his debts. Is there any way out for me.
    I know I can take him back to court but due to fear of the consequences of this and how my children may react I do not want to.
    Tags: None

Re: Stuck in a joint mortgage

Originally posted by GL1943 View Post
    I have tried to take over the mortgage but a barrister advised me not to due the CCJS, he can not take me off the mortgage due to his debts.
    Why would his CCJ's affect you taking over the mortgage? It's your credit rating that matters here, not his.

Comment

Is there a charge on the house? If there are to remortgage in one name surely the creditor gets paid before the OH name comes of the deeds?

Comment

Hi there,

I joint own a property with my ex husband, there is a court order that states he pay me the mortgage money and half the profit which he has not upheld and he is not paying the mortgage. He has CCJS in his name against the house and the house is in negative equity. If he were to go bankrupt what would happen about the CCJS?

I have tried to take over the mortgage but a barrister advised me not to due the CCJS, he can not take me off the mortgage due to his debts. Is there any way out for me.
        I know I can take him back to court but due to fear of the consequences of this and how my children may react I do not want to.
        Please would you explain what you mean by "half the profit"?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
          Why would his CCJ's affect you taking over the mortgage? It's your credit rating that matters here, not his.
          As he has them set against the house, they are in his name but if I took over the property the barrister said I would take over these debts.

Comment

His CCJs are against the house in his name, at the moment I am only liable for half the negative equity on the property, but again if he does not pay this I am told that I will be liable for the full amount, but not the ccjs

Comment

Sorry the house is rented which he collects all the rent, which he had for two years in full before the court ordered him to pay me half, and once again he has not kept to the order, that's why I want to know what would happen if he were to go bankrupt whether the ccjs would remain against the house as his name would have to be removed surely?

Comment

Thank you for your reply. This means a lot to me as this is an on-going problem and still a form of control which I just want released from with the best option, as I have a perfect credit rating outside of this mortgage.
                I could maintain the repayments and it is rented so the rent more than covers the mortgage. He has collected the rent but still has not paid the mortgage.
                I just want to know if he were to declare himself bankrupt what would happen with the CCJs, even though they are in his name they are against the house. Which they would be against half the property as it is joint, If I were to take over from his bankruptcy would the ccjs still remain against the house as the house is in negative equity, or would they still remain against half the property?

Comment

If he were to go bankrupt what would happen about the CCJS?
                  He would no longer have to pay the CCJs himself, but if there is any charging order on the property then that would remain.

Comment

I am wondering if this article might be of interest:

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/cards-loa...ome-bankruptcy

You can also contact these people - it's a government organisation - free of charge. They should be able to answer your queries:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency

Here's just one little bit of the site:

Contact The Insolvency Service

The Insolvency Service enquiry lines provide initial information on insolvency and redundancy legislation and procedures, including details of the work of the official receivers and redundancy payments offices. You may be able to find the answer you require on line or find enough information to make any subsequent enquiry more specific. The 'Personal' area of this site contains general information covering most topics commonly encountered by the IEL. This information can be accessed by clicking here.
                    You can fill out and submit an online form by clicking here. Alternatively you can telephone the enquiry lines detailed below.
                    Insolvency on 0845 602 9848
                    8am - 5pm

- See more at: http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/con....9ekQpbot.dpuf

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      I am wondering if this article might be of interest:

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/cards-loa...ome-bankruptcy

You can also contact these people - it's a government organisation - free of charge. They should be able to answer your queries:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency

Here's just one little bit of the site:

Contact The Insolvency Service

The Insolvency Service enquiry lines provide initial information on insolvency and redundancy legislation and procedures, including details of the work of the official receivers and redundancy payments offices. You may be able to find the answer you require on line or find enough information to make any subsequent enquiry more specific. The 'Personal' area of this site contains general information covering most topics commonly encountered by the IEL. This information can be accessed by clicking here.
                      You can fill out and submit an online form by clicking here. Alternatively you can telephone the enquiry lines detailed below.
                      Insolvency on 0845 602 9848
                      8am - 5pm

- See more at: http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/con....9ekQpbot.dpuf

Hope this helps.
                      Thank you hopefully I will get this sorted once and for all.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X