• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Quick Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Query

A few months ago I got a letter from the lovely Rossendales, with regard to an overpayment of housing benefit from a couple of years back, I had completely forgotten about it.

Anyway, the nice lady from R/dales told me on the phone that it was ok to pay in £10 installments, and sent me the account details to set up a standing order.

So I did do, and have been paying it every Friday since then. So keeping a check on it, I notice that there was now £13something owing. After the final payment of £10 was done I cancelled the SO with the intention of making one off bank transfer of the £3something the following Friday.

Then comes the following Friday and for some strange reason the SO was nto cancelled, so a further £10 headed their way, which means I have paid them £6something too much.

SO is compleltely cancelled and as far as I am concerned the debt is paid, in fact overpaid, do R/dales send something confirming this? Do I have to ask them? I am sonewhat relecutant to get in touch with them and poke them (really would rather just sit quietly) but am totally unsure of what the 'form' is for situations like this.

Re: Quick Query

Never had this myself Delta, but tbh if you have the proof that you have made all the payments and the full amount is paid up then I wouldn't contact them at all.
    Only my opinion mind, but job done on my eyes, see what someone else says.

Comment

You could leave it as you do have proof that it's paid in full. I hope.

Do you have statements from your account showing all payments made and to who they were paid to ?

Do you have a statement of account from your local council for housing benefit??? (or who ever pays this out)

They will continue to chase you constantly if they believe you owe any money, so personally I would deal with it now before it drags and drags.

If you have the proof that the monies have been paid in full then it won't take long to sort out. Maybe get in touch with whoever pays the housing benefit and get a statement of account.

JMO

Comment

As long as you have the proof it's been paid Delta you have nothing to worry about.

same thing happened to me a few years back.... once the final payment went through, i canceled the SO and that was it.. job done.. never heard a thing from them again.

but like pheonix says .... if you're worried give them a call just to check the details

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X