• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sold house and repaid mortgage now mortgage lender is sending demand letters...help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold house and repaid mortgage now mortgage lender is sending demand letters...help!

Hi,

I am new to this site so any assistance would be great.

I have recently sold my house, through normal channels (i.e. Estate Agency, Solicitor...) I am not buying another house at this stage luckily as, I keep getting demand letter from the Halifax saying they haven't received my mortgage payment. My Solictor is not getting any response from them and is now threatening Ombudsman. I am wondering whether anyone knows what I can do, whether this will affect my credit rating and any advice you could give on what I can do...
    Halifax aren't returning any calls and the Solicitor has shown me the bank draft with the bank details which verifies payment has been made. I can only think it has something to do with the fact that Lloyds/TSB have split and somewhere down the line the payment has gone missing!

Hope someone can help - I am self employed so can not afford to have a bad credit rating.

THanks

D
    Tags: None

Re: Sold house and repaid mortgage now mortgage lender is sending demand letters...he

To be perfectly honest, I think this is what you are paying your solicitor for. Surely when you sold the house you got the statement confirming the mortgage had been paid. Without repaying the mortgage, you would have been unable to complete on the sale.

Comment

Re: Sold house and repaid mortgage now mortgage lender is sending demand letters...he

Originally posted by yorkie0118 View Post
      Hi,

I am new to this site so any assistance would be great.

I have recently sold my house, through normal channels (i.e. Estate Agency, Solicitor...) I am not buying another house at this stage luckily as, I keep getting demand letter from the Halifax saying they haven't received my mortgage payment. My Solictor is not getting any response from them and is now threatening Ombudsman. I am wondering whether anyone knows what I can do, whether this will affect my credit rating and any advice you could give on what I can do...
      Halifax aren't returning any calls and the Solicitor has shown me the bank draft with the bank details which verifies payment has been made. I can only think it has something to do with the fact that Lloyds/TSB have split and somewhere down the line the payment has gone missing!

Hope someone can help - I am self employed so can not afford to have a bad credit rating.

THanks

D

Ask your solicitor for a copy of the redemption statement he received from Halifax/Lloyds/TSB showing the amount due before he made the payment to them.

If he made the payment as he said he should have received a discharge statement from the bank settling the debt and lifting the charge at the land registry in your name. Also check with the Land Registry that the property has been registered to the new owners and not still registered to you.

Ask your solicitor for your file and submit a SAR to the bank and triple check everything they send you against any paperwork you already have and see where the mistake has been made, if there is a mistake!

Comment

Originally posted by yorkie0118 View Post
        I have recently sold my house, through normal channels (i.e. Estate Agency, Solicitor...) I am not buying another house at this stage luckily as, I keep getting demand letter from the Halifax saying they haven't received my mortgage payment.
        How long ago was *recently* ?

If this non-payment or late-payment error has been registered on your credit file you will have an opportunity to get it removed once everything has come out in the wash :washing:

In the meantime it may be wise not to apply for any credit unless you need it. If you do apply and get turned down because of this black mark then you may have a damages claim against the bank for registering false negative information.

Comment

Follow the advice given by Labman and IanM. With the mortgage cleared and the paperwork in order, it will be interesting to see if Halifax blunder on and pass it to a DCA.

op2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X