• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sole trader has done a 'midnight flit'!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sole trader has done a 'midnight flit'!

Just looking for a bit of advice as Trading Standards up here in Scotland won't assist.

Wife paid £xxx upfront for a session of cosmetic treatments with a sole trader she has had a business relationship with for past two years. When she went back for another session recently, the shop front was all boarded up. Website was found to be suspended and phones disconnected. I reckon the OH will have to just write this off but part of me wants to look a bit further. I suppose a Companies House search would be the place to start?
    Tags: None

Re: Sole trader has done a 'midnight flit'!

Companies House only for LTD compnies, so dont know if that would help

Comment

Ahh, of course! Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

This one might have to be put down to experience? The owner has done a runner probably owing money to many others with little prospect of paying any of them

Comment

Hi Capt Haddock

I would imagine after 2 years, plenty of info could be gleaned.

Time to remove the sou'wester & don the deerstalker!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes, looks like the deerstalker is at this moment being donned...... now where's that pipe??

OH always dealt with one particular staff member, who definitely wasn't the owner/trader. News now reaches me of this trader renting space in the cosmetics area of a rather well-to-do dept. store on Princes Street in Edinburgh. Time to get the gumshoe on!

Comment

Probably, but I've finally got a lead now with the dept store. Question now is, what if I ask the manager of the store to divulge details of trader who rented the room/floorspace and they refuse?

Comment

Of course they can refuse would you like your details divulged to a stranger? so others can help how much out of pocket are you?

Comment

Personally, if it wasn't too far, I'd go and have a shufty.

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    Of course they can refuse would you like your details divulged to a stranger? so others can help how much out of pocket are you?
                    My question to you is: why would they not divulge, given that they, too, will be a fellow creditor and have rental-space arrears, one would imagine? But I see where you're coming from, sort of, though the mere mention of the trader's name should be enough to assure the store that they are talking to a fellow creditor. The money isn't an issue. It's no more than a hundred-odd Pounds but it's the relationship with these people that the OH had built up that rankles. Personally, I have written the money off, but a bit of rooting around for info might be productive.

Comment

The answer to mine and yours question divulge or not lies with you contacting the store as for the money I would be pursuing it on principle maybe not to far but may give them a kick u the backside

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Haddock View Post
                        My question to you is: why would they not divulge, given that they, too, will be a fellow creditor and have rental-space arrears, one would imagine? But I see where you're coming from, sort of, though the mere mention of the trader's name should be enough to assure the store that they are talking to a fellow creditor. The money isn't an issue. It's no more than a hundred-odd Pounds but it's the relationship with these people that the OH had built up that rankles. Personally, I have written the money off, but a bit of rooting around for info might be productive.
                        Possible infringement of the DPA?
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Yeh, I guess you're right, there.

Now have a name and a Facebook page!

Comment

Ok, found her! Still active on Facebook as of two days ago so she isn't ill or dead. Unsure what to do now. Though I have a fair lawyer, she'd probably end up costing wife & I more money that what's already lost in pursuing this dame. Woudl still like to give her a shot across the bows to let her know she's been rumbled.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Haddock View Post
                              Ok, found her! Still active on Facebook as of two days ago so she isn't ill or dead. Unsure what to do now. Though I have a fair lawyer, she'd probably end up costing wife & I more money that what's already lost in pursuing this dame. Woudl still like to give her a shot across the bows to let her know she's been rumbled.
                              Sue her in the County Court. It would be unfortunate if the claim were to be delivered to the store from whom she is currently renting space.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X