• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy, length of service, consultation & unfair dismissal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy, length of service, consultation & unfair dismissal.

Hi All,

I have 3 questions all relating to the same redundancy, and it's beginning to fry my brain trying to establish the legality of it.

[-----------1-----------]

I was recently made redundant and told that I would receive no payout because my length of service was only 16 months.

The situation was rather complicated, but I will try to simplify it:

I was employed on a fixed-term 18-month government scheme called a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) which involves working with both an SME and a university. In my case the SME contributed 2/3 of my salary, while a government grant provided the other 1/3. The administration was all handled by the university; meaning that they received payment from both parties and handled my payroll/holidays/sick pay etc. However, I also had to sign a contract with the SME and was based at their offices performing work under their direction and for their benefit from 9-5.

At the end of the contract (Sep '10 - Mar '12) I was offered a permanent position with the SME. I received a my p45 from the university and signed another contract with the SME. I was made redundant at the end of July 2013.

Do I have a case in saying my length of service was from Sep '10 - Jul '13?

[-----------2-----------]

I began working for the SME on the 1st April 2012 and I can provide proof of this. However, this was unpaid work and my paid employment did not officially start (including contract signing) until the end of April.

Does the unpaid work count as employment? (This is important because the law changed on the 6th April 2013).

[-----------3-----------]

I was made redundant with immediate effect (i.e. informed and then ushered out the back door on the same day) and told the company were cash strapped and that my position was no longer required. There was no consultation, no analysis and the company had recently employed a consultant who performed very similar work to me. In the preceding days the MD of the company had also made some highly unprofessional remarks (via email) to me regarding my performance of which I complained to my manager. I have latterly discovered that my assistant (who earns half the amount I did) is now performing at least 80% of the responsibilities that were part of my role and that the company employed another member of staff just 3 days after my departure (who also performs similar tasks).

I know already that the non-consultation is illegal, but do I have grounds for unfair dismissal?

[-----------------------]

Phew! Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Redundancy, length of service, consultation & unfair dismissal.

Originally posted by Mojai View Post
    I know already that the non-consultation is illegal, but do I have grounds for unfair dismissal?

[-----------------------]

Phew! Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Hi Mojai, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

To address this bit, I'm afraid you're not completely correct.

Whilst it would be correct to say that that is usually the case, there is a 'defense' known as 'futility', in that the usual course of practice would be for a consultation to take place, but if the employer can convince the ET that it would have been futile to do so, the decision not to consult would not be unfair.
    The authority for this is Ashby v JJB Sports Plc UKEAT/0114/12

It is, however, an exception which proves the 'Polkey' rule, that consultation should take place.
    (Polkey v AE Dayton Services Ltd [1987] IRLR 503)
    Last edited by charitynjw; 30th August 2013, 05:38:AM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X