• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

University money for my kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University money for my kids

Hello there!

I'm pondering whether to set up some sort of payment plan for when my kids decide whether to go off to University in a few years.

Both my partner and I have steady incomes but not nearly enough to pay for both of them to do degrees. I'm thinking of setting up some sort of plan in which I can pay in money every month that will gain interest and help them if they do decide to go!
    I realise that university fees aren't looking like getting any cheaper in the near future, so I want to have a platform for my kids.

Now from what I've researched, Fidelity provide a Junior ISA programme and offer a calculator platform aswell, which looks pretty promising. I'm just wondering if anyone has used this service previously or can give me some advice on what they think I should do?

Thanks for your time,
    Paul
    :tinysmile_grin_t:
    Tags: None

Re: University money for my kids

I would be inclined to look at bonds. Perhaps short term, and then increasing and reinvesting the capital each time. Money intended to go into a bond can be parked in a building society until the existing bond matures.

I would avoid anything with 'plan' in the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Paull View Post
      I'm pondering whether to set up some sort of payment plan for when my kids decide whether to go off to University in a few years.

Both my partner and I have steady incomes but not nearly enough to pay for both of them to do degrees. I'm thinking of setting up some sort of plan in which I can pay in money every month that will gain interest and help them if they do decide to go!
      I realise that university fees aren't looking like getting any cheaper in the near future, so I want to have a platform for my kids.
      Has no one told you or your children about Student Loans :scared:

http://www.slc.co.uk/students/studen...e-england.aspx

Why are you even thinking of financing them through university? I didn't bank-roll mine. When they finish their degree they will owe silly money to the "state" which will be deducted from their PAYE income once they earn over £21k

Comment

In simple terms that I can understand how much a month would you have to save at todays interest rates to save enough in 18 years to pay fees in 18 years time of say 40k presuming they increase to that level?

Comment

I don't mean paying for all of their food and bills, just a bit of a start so that they don't have to borrow so much money!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X