• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Intermittent fault with 6 month old Hotpoint gas cooker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent fault with 6 month old Hotpoint gas cooker

Hi,
    We purchased a Hotpoint gas cooker 6 months ago and have already had the engineer out. We had to pay for insurance (now cancelled) because Hotpoint said if no fault was found or it was our fault or gas supply problems we would have to pay £140 call out. I told them when turning down the hobs to their lowest setting they went out and the top oven often goes out after a few minutes.
    When the engineer examined the hobs he found they were set too low and said "they seemed to be set for LPG" he adjusted them and we have had no problems since. He lit the top oven it stayed on I explained the fault was intermittent and it did not always go out.
    Earlier today I lit the top oven to preheat it waited a couple of minutes to make sure it stayed lit and went up stairs I came down 15 mins later. As soon as I got to the bottom of the stairs I could smell gas it had gone out and the smell was really strong. I turned off the gas and opened the doors and windows. I am now extremely worried about using the cooker I thinks it's dangerous and not fit for purpose if I cannot use it as per it's design I think they should supply a new one. The problem is with an intermittent fault it does not always go out as per the engineers visit. The cooker was nearly £400 so I would expect it to be fit for purpose. The house is HA and had a full gas safety check by the HA gas engineer when he installed the cooker.
    I have to continuously keep checking the cooker to see if it is still lit and being disabled and unwell it's not always an easy task. What rights do I have as per the cooker being dangerous? I don't want to get into a long drawn out argument with Hotpoint I just don't have the strength and am not well enough to argue with them.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Intermittent fault with 6 month old Hotpoint gas cooker

Have a read here:

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Comment

Hi Silverback12345,

If it were me, I would call out a GasSafe registered engineer to do a safety check, gas rate test, appliance input pressure & meter output pressure tests, & make sure it is suitable for use with Natural Gas.
      Not knowing the model, I would also have the oven flame supervision device tested.
      If it proves to be faulty, you would then have a case against the manufacturer & whoever installed it, as it would be their responsibility as per the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 to ensure the appliance is safe to use.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for the replies. The house and the cooker had a gas safety check the day the HA gas engineer installed the cooker. The engineer had both ovens running at full settings but the oven only goes out at lower settings.

Comment

In which case it looks like a SOGA issue.

Comment

As you have had a landlord's safety check, you should have received a copy of same.

Have you checked the installer is on the GasSafe register?

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X