• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can employer force you to work more than 60 hours?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can employer force you to work more than 60 hours?

Hi people.

My colleague and I both work for a security company. I work 60 hours per week and my colleague works 48, (I opted out of the 48 hour week) and we both work 12 hour shifts.

Recently our company has informed us that we are now required to work 12 and a half hours per shift, due to our designated site expanding. They have said they will pay us the extra, in which I am quite happy with, but my question to you is... Can they actually make us work the extra hours? I know my colleague is sticking to his guns and refuses to work the extra half hour.
    Tags: None

Re: Can employer force you to work more than 60 hours?

Originally posted by BRFC View Post
    I know my colleague is sticking to his guns and refuses to work the extra half hour.
    Are you looking forward to his leaving party?

Comment

Hi BRFC, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

If you have opted out of the Working Time Regs, you can work for more than the standard 48 hours per week, although other regulations will be applicable.

As for making you work the extra time, this should be by negotiation, but, as I'm sure you can appreciate, there may well be a certain amount of pressure applied if it is necessary for the business.

You can always opt back in.

http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/gor...me-regulations
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Of course if you crach a car whilst tired it down to them

Comment

If your so tired you may crash a car DONT DRIVE you cant blame someone else!

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
            Are you looking forward to his leaving party?
            Yes, just he isn't aware that he isn't actually invited :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X