• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Clarification DCA SB and defaults please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification DCA SB and defaults please.

New member but long time browser, so a big thank you to all the experts on here!

i have recently received 2 letters from wescot credit services ltd. The second of which being a "final notice" requesting that I make contact and agree to pay an outstanding balance of £20 or so relating to Telefonica O2.

I have not contacted them.

I can only think that this relates to a phone contract i had when i was a student. I have been through my bank statements and the last payment I made to o2 was on the 16th of May 2007, so a little over 6 years ago and hence I presume statute barred.

I have no issue in paying any monies that I owe, however I am concerned that if I pay, it will be acknowledgement of the debt and lead to a default on my file / other derogatory report.

My other concern is that the letter mentions that inaction " may lead to a door step collector being instructed..." and the address is that of my elderly mother.

So my question is should I:
    a) Contact Wescot and pay the money
    b) Send Wescot a statute barred letter
    c) Ignore the letter

Many thanks in advance, James
    Tags: None

Re: Clarification DCA SB and defaults please.

Originally posted by Onetime View Post
    New member but long time browser, so a big thank you to all the experts on here!

i have recently received 2 letters from wescot credit services ltd. The second of which being a "final notice" requesting that I make contact and agree to pay an outstanding balance of £20 or so relating to Telefonica O2.

I have not contacted them.

I can only think that this relates to a phone contract i had when i was a student. I have been through my bank statements and the last payment I made to o2 was on the 16th of May 2007, so a little over 6 years ago and hence I presume statute barred.

I have no issue in paying any monies that I owe, however I am concerned that if I pay, it will be acknowledgement of the debt and lead to a default on my file / other derogatory report.
    Hi and welcome!

You are right about the fact that if you pay, you'll be acknowledging a debt that's likely to be SBd. However, that wouldn't lead to anything recorded on your credit file because the default should have been recorded back in 2007 and it should have dropped off by now, or be on its way out in the next few months and they can't record a new one.

Wescot love their bright, red letters headed FINAL NOTICE, I've got quite a few myself! :lol:

Originally posted by Onetime View Post
    My other concern is that the letter mentions that inaction " may lead to a door step collector being instructed..." and the address is that of my elderly mother.

So my question is should I:
    a) Contact Wescot and pay the money :nono: :nono: :nono:
    b) Send Wescot a statute barred letter
    c) Ignore the letter

Many thanks in advance, James
    Most threats of doorstep collectors are just empty threats and for £20 I very much doubt they'll bother. In fact, they are wasting their money on ink, paper and stamps! :wof:

If you don't mind the cost of a stamp, you could send them the SBd letter.

Comment

Yes I agree, this reverses the burden of proof, they have to show it isn't SB.

Sorry just noticed the amount, I would ignore.

Comment

Ignored, no further letters

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X