• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cleaning company claim, court please help me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning company claim, court please help me

I hope this is the right place to post this. Ok im a disabled lady who hired a small cleaning firm in each week to help with my domestic cleaning, ironing, hovering ,dusting etc. Anyway because of my condition and anxiety it was agreed they would send in a regular lady who I was happy and familiar with. The problems started when I was moved to a adapted bungalow suitable for my disabilities' but in a village further away an more remote than previously living, the lady used didn't want to travel so far and was unhappy with the firm anyway so left there employment after this things went down hill fast and consequently this is where all my problems started my ironing was being done, but nothing on the domestic side the house was how we (my husband is my fulltime carer) left it. I wasn't happy with this but allowed them a few weeks to get themselves together, they never did. Different cleaners who I was unfamiliar with arrived, not as our agreement for my needs and I think they must have just ironed an sat on my settee for the rest of the 3hr or so allotted as nothing else was touched, in fact on one day they sent the husband of the owner to do my cleaning, he was refused his services by my husband at the front door, the owner was again reminded I need a cleaner I was happy an familiar with as per my condition and our agreement and certainly not a man with no experience. The cleaning was supposed to be done on a tues ironing an Friday cleaning, the problem is they think they can get way charging me for cleaning on a Friday because I was always out attending my regular weekly social activities. of course I refuse to pay for the work not done in fact I have not paid them anything as they where invoicing for work not done. They also had without my permission my house keys cut and gave them out without my knowledge to there said cleaners. I am not prepared to be bullied by them to pay for some thing I consider wasn't done and consequently after home visit:director: late in the evening with no resolve I have received a form from Northampton cbbc asking for £608:censored: its making me poorly the stress of all this:help: im totally out of my depth and don't know what to do or how to complete the defence form let alone how to compile my side of all this. I have acknowledged the service of said documents an indicated I wish to defend but I need some help how or what I should do now an how to word things. Im very disabled an in a wheelchair so I think they see me as a easy target thinking I wont do anything because physically an mentally its difficult for me. please, please help me someone im so fraught with all this. thank you I should have said earlier in case it matters to my defence that there services where via a verbal agreememt nothing signed on paper the only thing they put on paper was a tick chart left at mine indicating jobs alleged done.
    Last edited by chlodella; 17th August 2013, 17:11:PM. Reason: for got bit
    Tags: None

Re: Cleaning company claim, court please help me

This does seem as if you did not receive any formal Letter Before Action from those rogues.

Comment

Two things concern me -

1. Charging for work not carried out; and
      2. Having copies of your house keys cut without your knowledge and consent.

The onus is on them to prove they have carried out the work for which they are charging. They also need to explain why they are in possession of multiple copies of your house keys which they had cut without your knowledge and consent.

If it were me, I would only offer to pay for work I knew they had carried out. I would be interested to see their reaction when challenged about the keys. If it were to go to court, I have no doubt they would have some explaining to do about the keys.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The cleaners have the burden of proof, which would appear to be fairly scant.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to produce some yourself (legitimately, that is!)
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
          The onus is on them to prove they have carried out the work for which they are charging. They also need to explain why they are in possession of multiple copies of your house keys which they had cut without your knowledge and consent.
          I believe the OP should claim from the useless scrubbers (or non-scrubbers) for the cost of changing the locks.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
            I believe the OP should claim from the useless scrubbers (or non-scrubbers) for the cost of changing the locks.
            See!
            I resisted all the 'taken to/by the cleaners' puns, & look what happens!
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I agree with you, Cloggy. With a bit of luck, being presented with the bill for changing the locks should shut them up.

Comment

I believe all points you have been kind enough to reply with are correct. Now my big problem is how on earth do I compile a defence form based on the above and your correct pointers? so sorry if I seem thick and that is to much to ask, I just don't know what to put or how to word im so stressed an alone it all feels a hopeless mess for me. Also how much is reasonable to charge for lock change which hubby did. kind regards for all your help x

Comment

The cost of the replacement locks and having any copies of keys cut for family members who still reside with you and your husband. Also, please bear in mind that both yourself and the cleaning company have a duty to resolve this matter without involving the courts and there are proper procedures a claimant has to comply with before they can scuttle off to Northampton CCBC for a claim form. It would appear that the cleaning firm has not complied with these procedures. Do you have a CAB near to where you live or could ring? You do need some guidance and, perhaps, someone to stick a rocket under this cleaning firm.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    The cost of the replacement locks and having any copies of keys cut for family members who still reside with you and your husband. Also, please bear in mind that both yourself and the cleaning company have a duty to resolve this matter without involving the courts and there are proper procedures a claimant has to comply with before they can scuttle off to Northampton CCBC for a claim form. It would appear that the cleaning firm has not complied with these procedures. Do you have a CAB near to where you live or could ring? You do need some guidance and, perhaps, someone to stick a rocket under this cleaning firm.
                    ok I had no letters or notifications from them, the only thing they attempted to do was visit me later evening walking into my house and shouting the odds nothing else, local ccb to far away and im wheelchair bound so access is difficult. Could I put in the defence that no procedures where followed before court action was instigated.:tinysmile_hmm_t2: so stressed I really am and feel so stupid. thank you again all your help is muchly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by chlodella View Post
                      the only thing they attempted to do was visit me later evening walking into my house and shouting the odds
                      That is not an attempt at resolution.

That was harassment of a debtor which is a criminal offence.

Did the oaf leave by himself or did you have to call the police?

Comment

After much huffing and puffing and threatening this an that ,he left because I refused to engage in conversation, how dare they walk into ,my home shouting:wacko: the odds, actually I had gone to be and my husband answered the door, my sleep disturb with the shouting. They also admitted they knew I was in (yes in bed!) because they heard us talking earlier, so the freaks must of been about outside my house spying on us:jaw: Right about my defence letter could I just submit similar to what I wrote here or have I got to turn on the legal jargon which I have no idea about:tinysmile_aha_t: seriously im a court virgin so don't know where to start or what/how to compile can anyone give an example or help me please, it would help me tremendously I cant rely on hubby to help atm as he is in hospital having a op and I relying on outside carers who I don't want to reveal private stuff to. I really am in a pickle

Comment

After much huffing and puffing and threatening this an that ,he left because I refused to engage in conversation, how dare they walk into ,my home shouting:wacko: the odds, actually I had gone to bed and my husband answered the door, my sleep was disturbed with the shouting. They also admittedout: they knew we were in because they heard us talking earlier, so the freaks must of been about outside my house spying on us:jaw: Right about my defence letter could I just submit similar to what I wrote on here or have I got to turn on the legal jargon which I have no idea about:tinysmile_aha_t: seriously im a court virgin so don't know where to start or what/how to compile can anyone give an example or help me please, it would help me tremendously I cant rely on hubby to help atm as he is in hospital having a op and I relying on outside carers who I don't want to reveal private stuff to. I really am in a pickle and am stressing constantly about this, I just need some help:ohwell: and cannot settle
                          Last edited by chlodella; 18th August 2013, 15:31:PM. Reason: hit button acidently

Comment

please delete the first unedited post, sorry still learning an must of hit wrong button:doh:

Comment

I agree with Cloggy about the harassment aspect. What on earth does this cleaning firm boss think he's doing? As for letting himself into the house, well, I hope he's got access to good-quality ear defenders because I can see a judge giving him a blasting he won't forget in a hurry. Judges, on the whole, do not like bullying.

As for the CAB, ring them tomorrow. If you explain your health, mobility and transport issues, as well as the fact that your husband is currently in hospital, I am sure they can provide you with the necessary advice and guidance over the phone and by email, if need be.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X