• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Working notice period from home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working notice period from home

Hello everyone,

I've recently handed in my notice on a job I've had for over ten years. My notice period is three months and after I handed in my notice they told me I could not visit the office unless asked and therefore was expected to work from home.

I'm concerned that the company may be in breach of my employment contract by stopping me from attending the office and changing my place of work without consultation? Is there a case to answer here? Can the company ask me to come in on certain days with very little notice and sometimes for periods of two or three days?

I've also lost some of the benefits I used to enjoy such as lunches that were provided by the company. Can the company remove the benefits simply because I'm working my notice?

Many thanks for any advice.

Shatner
    Tags: None

Re: Working notice period from home

I think in many cases its empty your desk and leave now with some companies is this the same?

Comment

Hi Shatner, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Are you being paid as per your contract of employment/statement of particulars?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Shatner View Post
        I've recently handed in my notice on a job I've had for over ten years. My notice period is three months and after I handed in my notice they told me I could not visit the office unless asked and therefore was expected to work from home.

I'm concerned that the company may be in breach of my employment contract by stopping me from attending the office and changing my place of work without consultation? Is there a case to answer here? Can the company ask me to come in on certain days with very little notice and sometimes for periods of two or three days?

I've also lost some of the benefits I used to enjoy such as lunches that were provided by the company. Can the company remove the benefits simply because I'm working my notice?
        This is not that uncommon, in fact, you may soon find yourself on garden leave. :thumb: Certain companies, such as those in the Financial $ector, may be concerned about employees who have decided to move on, particularly with regards to access to the corporate network and other company resources, client databases, etc. :typing: This is not to say YOU may be suspected of doing something wrong, they are just paranoid by nature. :spy:

In all honesty, if you are still being paid your normal salary, you should regard this as a perk and not worry about things such as lunches. I recall when my boss (Mrs L), who was also on 3 months notice, gave her notice: a replacement was found almost immediately, in the shape of a temp-to-perm person (Mrs C). Mrs C started working closely with the person in charge of all the support departments and there was little or no handover required from Mrs L, who was still required to turn up every day just to be there with virtually nothing to do, :noidea: as all her work was now being channeled directly through to Mrs C. Mrs L was kept in limbo for two months :cry: before finally being told she could go home and enjoy her last few weeks of her notice period. I'd say your situation is much better than the alternative I've just described. :grin:

If you are still being paid in full then they could ask you to go to the office if and when required.

Comment

Hello all and thank you for your replies.

I am being paid as normal and yes, FlamingParrot, it's better than some of the horror stories I've been told. I'd just like to know where I am. Working from home is fine, writing up handover documents is a bore but needs to be done. It's just very difficult to know where I am from one day to the next.

I was told to empty my desk and it was made clear I could not come back into the office unless I was invited.

Comment

Originally posted by Shatner View Post
            Hello all and thank you for your replies.

I am being paid as normal and yes, FlamingParrot, it's better than some of the horror stories I've been told. I'd just like to know where I am. Working from home is fine, writing up handover documents is a bore but needs to be done. It's just very difficult to know where I am from one day to the next.

I was told to empty my desk and it was made clear I could not come back into the office unless I was invited.
            Is that a financial in$titution by any chance? It just sounds like the way they operate, paranoia rules! :spy: :spy: :spy: I wasn't allowed to empty my desk after I was suspended, someone went to grab my handbag and laptop and everything else sat there for months, by the time my possessions were returned to my by parcel post, I couldn't even remember what I had left there. Of course circumstances were *slightly* different with me but even people who were made redundant were not allowed back in the office. I saw this happen so many times before it happened to me! :rant:

I

Comment

This has happened to my husband a couple of times in the past. He works in the Financial Sector and was not required to go into the office again. In effect, he was being paid whilst looking for another job as the company he worked for were relocating to another part of the country and his post was redundant.

Comment

Situation not at all uncommon.
                When I worked at Lloyds of London in the seventies , I gave my notice in and was instructed to remain outside the City of London (the Square mile) whilst I "worked" my notice.
                Not surprising as I was setting up a new rival business with some other brokers and was looking to take accounts with me.
                Employer realized this as I had taken accounts to them when I joined them!
                For three months we operated from a temporary office just outside the City.
                It's not always unjustified paranoia on the part of employers!

Comment

Garden leave is quite common.

As long as you have been/are being paid as per your contract, then without the benefit of better info, that is within the employers rights.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X