• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment contract in the UAE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment contract in the UAE

Hello, not sure if anyone can help me but I have just returned from working in Abu Dhabi, UAE. My contract of employment stated that I would receive AED6000 (£1000) basic salary per month, however this was to be deducted out of future commissions earned!!! Therefore, technically I was self employed which I think is illegal in the UAE for starters? Secondly, my contract also states that I would receive my employment visa.
    After 6 months I have not received any "salary" or my visa!!!

Fortunately I have earned commissions, but the company have stated that they would only pay 65% commissions until I had written over a certain amount of business !!!

My question is this: Are a company allowed to deduct commisions and enforce certain parts of a contract even though they are not upholding other parts I.E. the parts that benefit the employer? (Salary and visa)

Sorry for the long post but just wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences in the UAE ?

Thank You
    Tags: None

Re: Employment contract

Hello LadyJane

I'm sorry but I haven't a clue.

You never know, though, on this forum, someone might well appear who knows exactly what you need to find out. Hope so -and good luck! x

Comment

Does the contract state which country's law is applicable?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I'll send a link to this thread to someone I know in Dubai which is also part of the UAE, let's see what they say. :thumb:

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by ladyjane View Post
            Hello, not sure if anyone can help me but I have just returned from working in Abu Dhabi, UAE. My contract of employment stated that I would receive AED6000 (£1000) basic salary per month, however this was to be deducted out of future commissions earned!!! Therefore, technically I was self employed which I think is illegal in the UAE for starters? Secondly, my contract also states that I would receive my employment visa.
            After 6 months I have not received any "salary" or my visa!!!

Fortunately I have earned commissions, but the company have stated that they would only pay 65% commissions until I had written over a certain amount of business !!!

My question is this: Are a company allowed to deduct commisions and enforce certain parts of a contract even though they are not upholding other parts I.E. the parts that benefit the employer? (Salary and visa)
            See below, with big thanks to my good friend who runs a business in Dubai :yo: and I was lucky to visit last year. :bounce:

In the UAE, it is a criminal offense to employ an individual without a work VISA, which normally takes 2 to 3 days to arrange. There is no such thing as “self employed” in the UAE, you must have a VISA regardless. The company can ask the employee to sign a private contract that states salary, holidays, commissions etc. and you should have signed one such contract BEFORE starting work there.

The general rule is that the basic salary cannot be reduced or changed once it's been agreed with the employee and written in the employment contract, which should be registered with the local government, however, if no VISA has been issued, there can be no such contract.

His suggestion is, if you have something in writing from the employer such as a letter or an e-mail where they stated their offer and conditions of work in Abu Dhabi, you should definitely contact them and mention the possibility of referring them to the relevant authorities.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Obviously this is all based purely on the information provided above, which I copied and pasted word for word on an email. If more info is provided I could probably obtain more details where these came from.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X