• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forthcoming ATOS assessment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Forthcoming ATOS assessment.

don't know whether you require further info but can help if required

Comment

Originally posted by beingDUN View Post
      don't know whether you require further info but can help if required
      Please do; the more information I have, the better armed I am. Thanks.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago, I had a phone call from a very pleasant lady from the DWP, who went through my correspondence and complaints point by point, confirming all of the details of my dissatisfaction with the original assessment, paying particular attention to my assertions that every answer which supported my case was glossed over, and undue emphasis was placed on my abilities. She terminated the call saying that she would review the decision to refuse benefit, and if she was able, reverse it; I presume she must have wanted to listen to the ATOS copy of the recording, which ATOS had claimed was unintelligable owing to the security time / date record interfering with the questions and responses (although I was able to listen to my copy simply by turning the balance control fully to the right channel!). The outcome is that I am awarded ESA, in the work related group, which is exactly what I consider to be fair; I am extremely capable when ok or a little high, but hopeless when not. Certainly I cannot hold down a conventional job, but I can (and wish to) work on a self-employed basis, and this decision will help me to do this. Regarding my housing benefit claim, I am being given the runaround by the local authority decision makers who are claiming that I have failed to provide various documents, despite my having receipts from them for those self-same documents..... I have copied those receipts to the decision maker concerned, together with all the associated documents and informed her that the whole file will be presented to my MP when I meet him to discuss this in the new year (thanks to the power and loyalty of a former colleague). I just hope I can keep the hyper phase going long enough to make some of these cretins squirm.

Comment

Good result. Make sure that the DWP confims the findings in writing.

Atos (and other organisations of similar ilk), rely on local victories sinking into the ether. Copy in your MP and any organisation that you think may be able to make use of it. Disability Rights UK and MIND are possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic View Post
            The outcome is that I am awarded ESA, in the work related group, which is exactly what I consider to be fair; I am extremely capable when ok or a little high, but hopeless when not. Certainly I cannot hold down a conventional job, but I can (and wish to) work on a self-employed basis, and this decision will help me to do this.
            It won't.

Work-related ESA is of finite duration and the gormless gargoyles at the DWP will expect you to be cured before very long. On the other hand, they might provide an opportunity for a worthwhile job such as stacking shelves at your nearest Tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              It won't.

Work-related ESA is of finite duration and the gormless gargoyles at the DWP will expect you to be cured before very long. On the other hand, they might provide an opportunity for a worthwhile job such as stacking shelves at your nearest Tesco.
              Good result, Cynic. If the local authority benefits staff are playing silly buggers, Article 6, Human Rights Act 1998 (Duty of state to deal with a citizen's affairs in a timely manner) should fccus their minds, regardless of their protestations to the contrary.

All too often, ATOS speculate that someone will be better/cured in about 12-18 months. The problem is, the ATOS wallahs who prepare the reports are often not qualified to make such pronouncements and, clearly, do not read the medical reports provided by hospital consultants. In some cases, what an ATOS wallah says in their report may have far-reaching consequences, health-wise, for the claimant. ATOS is subject to both health and safety and human rights legislation and claimants should use these pieces of legislation to their full advantage.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                Good result, Cynic. If the local authority benefits staff are playing silly buggers, Article 6, Human Rights Act 1998 (Duty of state to deal with a citizen's affairs in a timely manner) should fccus their minds, regardless of their protestations to the contrary.
                All too often, ATOS speculate that someone will be better/cured in about 12-18 months. The problem is, the ATOS wallahs who prepare the reports are often not qualified to make such pronouncements and, clearly, do not read the medical reports provided by hospital consultants. In some cases, what an ATOS wallah says in their report may have far-reaching consequences, health-wise, for the claimant. ATOS is subject to both health and safety and human rights legislation and claimants should use these pieces of legislation to their full advantage.
                Fortunately, I have a meeting with my local MP (to discuss this whole affair) a few days hence, and he is still quite heavily involved in local politics, as are one or two former colleagues from way back, so I am hoping that this will be enough to wake up the local authority benefits staff for the sake of others, if not myself; as I have just been given an enhanced "Working Tax Credit" award owing to my efforts at therapeutic self-employed "permitted work", coupled with the fact that I am considered "at a disadvantage in obtaining work by reason of disability", I will probably not be entitled to Housing and Council Tax benefit after all, but that is hardly the point, this has been dragging on for weeks and I intend to exert whatever pressure I can to expose these people who seem to rejoice in messing with the lives of others.

Likewise, I am taking all of the ATOS & DWP correspondence, together with the assessment recording, to my meeting, having been assured that the MP has a bee in his bonnet about ATOS and is looking for any ammunition which he can fire in the House; I think that my file particularly the recording, when compared with the ATOS written report would probably qualify as a WMD given the contradictions and attempts to distort responses. As for the issue of an assumed cure in 12 -18 months, by that time I will be of retiring age, so personally, not really an issue, but again, that is not the point; I am truly angry for those in in a worse position and less able to defend themselves than I am.

I will keenly watch this site for others struggling with ATOS /DWP and offer my experience to assist them if possible, in the meantime, heartfelt thanks to all who have offered advice and moral support to me over the past few months.
                Last edited by Cynic; 27th December 2013, 03:55:AM. Reason: Text positioning error.

Comment

Fortunately, I have a meeting with my local MP (to discuss this whole affair) a few days hence, and he is still quite heavily involved in local politics, as are one or two former colleagues from way back, so I am hoping that this will be enough to wake up the local authority benefits staff for the sake of others, if not myself; as I have just been given an enhanced "Working Tax Credit" award owing to my efforts at therapeutic self-employed "permitted work", coupled with the fact that I am considered "at a disadvantage in obtaining work by reason of disability", I will probably not be entitled to Housing and Council Tax benefit after all, but that is hardly the point, this has been dragging on for weeks and I intend to exert whatever pressure I can to expose these people who seem to rejoice in messing with the lives of others.

Likewise, I am taking all of the ATOS & DWP correspondence, together with the assessment recording, to my meeting, having been assured that the MP has a bee in his bonnet about ATOS and is looking for any ammunition which he can fire in the House; I think that my file particularly the recording, when compared with the ATOS written report would probably qualify as a WMD given the contradictions and attempts to distort responses. As for the issue of an assumed cure in 12 -18 months, by that time I will be of retiring age, so personally, not really an issue, but again, that is not the point; I am truly angry for those in in a worse position and less able to defend themselves than I am.

I will keenly watch this site for others struggling with ATOS /DWP and offer my experience to assist them if possible, in the meantime, heartfelt thanks to all who have offered advice and moral support to me over the past few months.
                  It would be interesting to see IDS's reaction if the recording was played before a House of Commons' Select Committee with IDS present and a copy of the ATOS report in front of him. I suspect he would struggle to palm it off. If he tried to dismiss it, my suspicion is that it would show IDS as disingenuous, at best, totally devoid of any humanity, at worst. Please do hang around. People with experience such as yourself can be invaluable to those who do not know how to deal with ATOS/DWP. Thank you. May I wish you a happy and peaceful New Year.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I was prescribed 800mg Lithium Carbonate for several years, which was supposed to stabilise me, which it did, but at a manic level;- I shudder now when I remember some of the things I did while taking that, it's amazing that I did not kill or seriously injure myself, or anyone else, during that period. I used to stay awake for 20 or more hours a day, every day, ride a 1,000cc motorbike flat out everywhere, confront anyone I perceived as a bully, no matter how much bigger, or younger than myself, and so on.
                    Cynic,

A lot of this sounds SO like me. While I don't have the 1,000cc motorbike, when manic, I have had the strong urges to kick whoever might be standing in front of me at a cash machine or anyone who gets in my way. In fact, that's what first took me to my GP...I sat there sobbing in hysterics....I had gone completely the other way in a short amount of time. I was taken into for emergency assessment and within 24 hours was at my first three month stay at the Trust's mental health day hospital. Been there two times as of now.

When manic, I too turn into a bully and will think nothing of confronting groups of teenage gangs, most of whom are drug dealers. I'm only 5 foot and 3 3/4 inches tall! I was once cut off by by woman driver; she was so close, she nearly hit me. I ended up following her all the way to her house at which time I yelled, screamed abuse and swore at her about almost hitting me. I've also flung kitchen knives into a linoleum floor with such force that it took a male family member to pull them out. I also become very combative and extremely irritable.

I've driven through traffic lights just because I could.

Some of the stories I could tell would curl your hair (unless, of course, you already have curly hair! LOL). I've made one suicide attempt this far after talking to an extremely rude woman at the TV Licencing Agency. Took all of my tablets and sat in the living room and drank a bottle and a half of whiskey. Landed myself in hospital and slept for a day and a half.

When depressed, I had weeks where all I could manage was sitting and watching Series 3 of the American show Two And A Half Men. Over and over and over....again. These days, I watch M*A*S*H.

I can't just self-manage, although I'm more or less at a point where I can tweak my medications. Right now, I'm on:

• Depakote - 1500mg
                    • Quetiapine - 400mg
                    • Citalopram - 20mg but sometimes as high as 40mg
                    • Buspirone - 10mg three times a day or more
                    • Promethazine - 50mg
                    • Diphenhydramine - when needed or if I'm out of Promethazine
                    • Diazepam (Valium) - if I can get some because they now prescribe it with an eyedropper

And these are only my mental health meds!

Yet, when feeling cornered like I am now, I go into immediate severe panic mode which is what brought me to this site. There are days that I really hate my life! Fortunately, my psychiatrist is going to arrange for me to see one her CMHNs for while because of this while PIP assessment distress.
                    Last edited by leeappleyard61; 23rd June 2015, 20:37:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X