• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forthcoming ATOS assessment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forthcoming ATOS assessment.

Good morning, I hope someone can help me with a little guidance. I have no physical problems but suffer from bi-polar disorder ( behaviour and mood changes ranging form hiding in a corner to feeling invincible) which was first diagnosed about 18 years ago. For many years I was able to continue working, although I did lose one really good job because a one off occurence of violent behaviour caused by my illness. As I got worse, I tried various prescribed medication and counselling and was eventually sectioned for a short while, after trying to hang myself with a piece of chain. Subsequently I worked as and when I could, but around seven years ago was given long term incapacity benefit, and apart from "allowed work" on a self employed basis, under the scheme, have done nothing since. I rarely have to visit my doctor, or take anything nowadays as I have learned to "manage" myself and my problem by avoiding stresses such as crowds, strangers or anything unfamiliar;- not a great life, but better than the utter madness & paranoia that I, and those around me used to suffer when I failed to deal with day to day life.
    I have asked for a recording of my assessment, and was told that "they" would let me know if the equipment would not be available and have to rearrange the appointment, I am a bit stressed about this even, have no idea what I might be like on the day, but the better I can prepare, the less bothered I will be about it. I do not trust ATOS, their system or their staff, and am convinced that if I am on a high when there, will come across as an idiot who thinks he knows it all, but has nothing really wrong with him, if I am badly depressed will either not be able to face going, or will not be able to respond, and considered uncooperative, or if in between, will be perfectly lucid, and therefore seem to have nothing wrong with me. I did have an assessment some time ago, but that was with a proper assessor, before ATOS took over this "work".
    Sorry if I come across as bit odd / paranoid;- I am, but any advice would be much appreciated, I have no idea what I would do if forced to even go for an interview, much less try to do a normal job.
    Tags: None

Re: Forthcoming ATOS assessment.

There has recently been a ruling by the Upper Tier Tribunal about ATOS using people who are not Mental Health Professionals to carry out WCAs on claimants who have mental health issues. In the case mentioned, ATOS allowed a physiotherapist to carry out the WCA. Also, the accuracy of WCAs has been brought into question.

I know people with bi-polar and, to be honest, in my experience, I have found them to be intelligent and, in some cases, wonderfully creative people who have produced some fantastic artwork. If you have any worries about the WCA, can I suggest you discuss them with your CPN or consultant?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Bluebottle thanks for that;- I have had my moments in the past with creativity and projects, that is part of the problem, when on a high I take on the impossible, and the arrival of reality sends the pendulum the other way.
      One of my concerns about the WCA is that I no longer see either my consultant, or CPN as (with their help) I had settled into a quiet sort of stability without regular medication (which always either exacerbated my problem or put me into a zombie like state).

Comment

How rapidly do you tend to cycle from "high" to "low"?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
          How rapidly do you tend to cycle from "high" to "low"?
          Without any external influence, it may be anything from a few hours to a few weeks, when faced with something (which I find) hard to handle change can occur very quickly, in either direction, for example if the phone rings unexpectedly, I might be frightened to answer it, or, I might assume that it's a spam call and answer it in an aggressive tone. Bizarre, I know, but that's how it is.

Comment

It does not seem at all bizarre to me - your underlying mental state or "expectation" (for want of a more apposite word) seems to determine how you would react to an external stimulus.

Comment

Probably my paranoia, but even though I phoned to request a recording of my assessment, I am convinced that I will turn up and they will deny all knowledge. If this does happen, how should I react? Should I refuse to go ahead, unrecorded? Should I try to sort out something so that I can surreptitiously record it?

Comment

You should:
                1. put in writing your request for recording and send the request by Recorded Delivery
                2. take someone with you who can restrain you when you get angry and start turning green...

Comment

First of all ask the assessor what his or her medical profession or back ground is, and if they are qualified mental health professional. If not then refer them to what BB mentioned above and ask for meeting to be rearrange so that you may be assessed by a person with the correct qualifications and experience in the mental health profession, and that you would likes said meeting to be recorded.

If they are qualified, state that you had requested that the meeting be recorded and as that is not possible, you would like the meeting to be rearrange, in fact write it on paper (before you go to the meeting) and get them to sign a photo copy of it and give them the original unsigned version, whilst you keep the signed photocopy. That way you are covered.
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks Teaboy2, I'll organise myself for that, and try to be adequately psyched up on the day to carry it through.

Comment

To be honest, you will do yourself no favours by ensuring you do all you can to minimise the effect of this on yourself, as long as living with the anxiety until the date of the assessment is not going to cause you danger in any way.

If they see you manifesting the symptoms you've described above, then it will 'help' them realise you are a genuine case. I can empathise entirely with the position of being calm and lucid one moment and extremely ill the next. There are often triggers - I have no doubt your consultant, CPN, counsellors etc... will have talked you through learning to recognise and avoid these, thus you are usually able to self-manage your illness. However, something unexpected can trigger an instant reaction which can transform you within a second or two.

It would be good to be able to describe these triggers and give some examples of how your illness has been set off without warning, and the effect this has had on you, and on others around you. It is highly likely, given the stress of the situation, that you will be manifesting some features of the illness anyway - this is no bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                        To be honest, you will do yourself no favours by ensuring you do all you can to minimise the effect of this on yourself, as long as living with the anxiety until the date of the assessment is not going to cause you danger in any way.

If they see you manifesting the symptoms you've described above, then it will 'help' them realise you are a genuine case. I can empathise entirely with the position of being calm and lucid one moment and extremely ill the next. There are often triggers - I have no doubt your consultant, CPN, counsellors etc... will have talked you through learning to recognise and avoid these, thus you are usually able to self-manage your illness. However, something unexpected can trigger an instant reaction which can transform you within a second or two.

It would be good to be able to describe these triggers and give some examples of how your illness has been set off without warning, and the effect this has had on you, and on others around you. It is highly likely, given the stress of the situation, that you will be manifesting some features of the illness anyway - this is no bad thing.
                        Thanks Labman, it is a worry to me that in order to give a lucid account, I will appear to be "normal"ish, at least. I cannot predict how I will feel tomorrow, much less in a couple of weeks when my WCA is due. I have been worrying about this since February when the forms were originally sent;- it took me 3 weeks (in dribs and drabs) to complete them, describing history and effects, being 100% honest about them.
                        Yes, when I used to see a consultant and CPN, I did learn to self manage, very well, I believe, but only by keeping myself out of situations exactly like this.

I feel a bit like a victim of a medieval witchcraft trial;- if I give a good account of myself clearly I am OK and should not be on sickness benefit, if I can't, they'll walk all over me and take it from me anyway.

Comment

Cynic,

When you suffer a manic or depressive episode, are you given Lithium Sulphate to bring things back into balance? The bi-polar patients I know are given this medication and it normally brings things back into balance.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                            Cynic,

When you suffer a manic or depressive episode, are you given Lithium Sulphate to bring things back into balance? The bi-polar patients I know are given this medication and it normally brings things back into balance.
                            I was prescribed 800mg Lithium Carbonate for several years, which was supposed to stabilise me, which it did, but at a manic level;- I shudder now when I remember some of the things I did while taking that, it's amazing that I did not kill or seriously injure myself, or anyone else, during that period. I used to stay awake for 20 or more hours a day, every day, ride a 1,000cc motorbike flat out everywhere, confront anyone I perceived as a bully, no matter how much bigger, or younger than myself, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic View Post
                              I was prescribed 800mg Lithium Carbonate for several years, which was supposed to stabilise me, which it did, but at a manic level;- I shudder now when I remember some of the things I did while taking that, it's amazing that I did not kill or seriously injure myself, or anyone else, during that period. I used to stay awake for 20 or more hours a day, every day, ride a 1,000cc motorbike flat out everywhere, confront anyone I perceived as a bully, no matter how much bigger, or younger than myself, and so on.
                              What on earth did the mental health professionals who were supposed to be looking after you think they were doing? Lithium is toxic in high doses and an overdose can be lethal. I can remember someone being taken into a psychiatric unit who was manic, was given a high dose of Lithium Sulphate and the next thing they can remember is being in the Resuscitation Room of the Accident & Emergency Department. Chlorpromazine (Largactil) can be dangerous if not prescribed with care. Thankfully, they are not allowed to prescribe it anymore because of its dangerous aspects, i.e. hypotension.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X