• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can one resign before an investigation starts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can one resign before an investigation starts?

Hi,

I had some troubles last year but managed to come through.

Now a colleague is in a similar boat. His employer has approached him and asked him questions about an incident. The incident is viewed as potental gross misconduct. He has spoken to his line manager and he has 'got it out' of her off the record that a decision has been made that he will be sacked for this incident.

He has not yet received his notice of investigation letter and is not formally under investigation just yet.

My questions are

- can he resign immediately?
    - is his manager able to refuse his immediate resignation?
    - can the investigation still proceed post his immediate resignation?
    - can he broker a deal between him and his manager for a compromise agreement where he walks and they drop everything?
    - what likelihood is there for a compromise agreement being reached before formal proceedings have begun, or can this only be agreed post formal investigation notice?

Also

He was told off the record that he will be given 48 hours notice of a disciplinary meeting.. but it seems his manager hasnt built a file against him yet, other than the incriminating text he sent to a client. Surely they would need a more thorough investigtion i.e. speak to the client in question who received the text and other parties to the deal he was involved in before dismissing?

Thanks for your help!!!
    Tags: None

Re: Can one resign before an investigation starts?

Hi and welcome to Legal Beagles.

What does this incident involve, please?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

​Well,,yeah,,he can ,,but that will look like an admission of guilt methinks

Comment

he sent an inappropriate text to his client seemingly favoring him over another client on a property deal. The chap he 'favored' ended up not winning the deal and then made a complaint about my colleague that he had been mistreated. It escalated from there to where we are now.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesjones View Post
          Hi,

I had some troubles last year but managed to come through.

Now a colleague is in a similar boat. His employer has approached him and asked him questions about an incident. The incident is viewed as potental gross misconduct. He has spoken to his line manager and he has 'got it out' of her off the record that a decision has been made that he will be sacked for this incident.

He has not yet received his notice of investigation letter and is not formally under investigation just yet.

My questions are

- can he resign immediately? As others have said, it insinuates guilt.
          - is his manager able to refuse his immediate resignation? If you mean, can the manager force him to go in to work? - no
          - can the investigation still proceed post his immediate resignation?If he refuses to participate, how else can they investigate? I would think, though, that they would 'read between the lines'.
          - can he broker a deal between him and his manager for a compromise agreement where he walks and they drop everything? What 'deal'? what would he have to offer that would be advantageous to the employer?
          - what likelihood is there for a compromise agreement being reached before formal proceedings have begun, or can this only be agreed post formal investigation notice? See above answer.

Also

He was told off the record that he will be given 48 hours notice of a disciplinary meeting.. but it seems his manager hasnt built a file against him yet, *other than the incriminating text he sent to a client. Surely they would need a more thorough investigtion i.e. speak to the client in question who received the text and other parties to the deal he was involved in before dismissing?

Thanks for your help!!!
          *I would imagine that the reason for the investigation is for bringing the firm into disrepute, as well as potentially causing significant commercial harm.
          & all the employer needs is 'reasonable suspicion' - there is no law which states that the employer has to provide work; the law is to prevent unfair/wrongful dismissal.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

How long has he worked there? Is he in a union?

Comment

If this inappropriate text message had the effect of putting the employer in breach of the law, then I can understand the employer's viewpoint.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                *I would imagine that the reason for the investigation is for bringing the firm into disrepute, as well as potentially causing significant commercial harm.
                & all the employer needs is 'reasonable suspicion' - there is no law which states that the employer has to provide work; the law is to prevent unfair/wrongful dismissal.
                Has Eloise01 actually died and are you channelling her ghost?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Has Eloise01 actually died and are you channelling her ghost?
                  Exactly what are you proposing, CC?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

If OP has been employed for less than 2 years then it's case closed

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      Exactly what are you proposing, CC?
                      There seemed to be a similarity of opinion.

Has anyone seen Eloise01 and charity posting at the same time?

Just asking...

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        There seemed to be a similarity of opinion.

Has anyone seen Eloise01 and bluebottle posting at the same time?

Just asking...
                        Too late, CC!.........................^^^^^^^^

:biggrin1:

Has your jacket got a felt collar, CC? msl:
                        Last edited by charitynjw; 25th July 2013, 11:31:AM.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Call it a "senior moment"...

Comment

You are Eloise01 and I claim the News Chronicle Prize!

Comment

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X