• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Meter-plus PPM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meter-plus PPM

Hi i am in arrears with Npower for £328 and today i had a meter-plus man come to my door an basically told me i have to have PPM fitted to pay the debt back....I said i had been in touch with the benefits agency as i wanted it to be taken from my IS in fuel direct but he said they wont accept it as i can have prepayment meters fitted....so after him ringing collections i am now having to have these meters fitted in a few weeks....
    I really dont want meters fitted (an yes i shouldnt of got in arrears like this) but what would happen if i wasnt in when they came to fit the meters? would they do it anyway or break in my house to fit them?
    I am going to ring Npower to see if i can settle the debt by payment plan over 6 months but im worried they will say no an i have to have these meters fitted anyway.
    Tags: None

Re: Meter-plus PPM

Energy companies can only fit key meters under the following circumstances -

1. At the request of the customer; and
    2. Under the ambit of a warrant granted by a magistrates court.

If they force entry to a customer's home without judicial authority and fit a meter against the wishes of the customer, it is likely a court will order the removal of the meter and its replacement with exactly the same type of meter as was installed prior to the unlawful installation. The energy supplier's agents would also trespassing and any damage would have to be paid for by the energy supplier.

Also, NPower cannot just turn up on your doorstep and demand to fit a key meter. You did the right thing telling matey to go away. As for his claim that NPower can install a key meter against your wishes, see above.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X