• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employee Confidenciality Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Confidenciality Rights

Hello newbie here

Sorry "Confidentially " i will learn to spell when a grow up!

Not sure if this is the right forum but

I am a senior manager in a SME, a small section of the company not under my authority, have i feel had their confidentiality rights interfered with, i am not sure if i am just annoyed for them or am justified in my anger.

Basically its reveiw time in the business, we all are reviewed directly by one of the owners (actually a nice honest fair person, whom i respect, but not the most business savvy person around)

The manager (less senior than I) who is in charge of these four people, due to be reviewed by one of the owners, asked them all what they were going to raise in the review meeting and why. obviously trying to guide comments away from recent massive cock ups, and possible a dash of paranoia.

I feel this is not correct fair, and possibly a infringement on their rights, before i go in doing my enraged, this is not cricket etc stance, i wondered what other members thought or if anyone can confirm is this is against employment law, the spirit of, etc

many thanks Brian
    Last edited by Wilkie Senior; 22nd July 2013, 11:51:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Employee Confidenciality Rights

Hi Wilkie Senior & welcome to Legal Beagles.

At the moment, given what you say, nothing unlawful has been done yet.

However, if they were to suffer from victimisation or harassment because of what they might/would say, that's a different kettle of fish.....
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You are probably right with regard to your analysis of the other managers motivation. However, as charitynjw says, nothing has actually happened yet.

Comment

HI there

Many thanks for the replies. i thought nothing illegal as such

Just my sense of fair play i would never do that to my staff, i am trying not esculate the issue, but it annoys the hell out of me!

I have raised my concern with the owners, about this, and mentioned to the people concerned to write it down in the diary & note any further conversations etc in relation to this matter

The manager concerned has just made another cock up, over the P11Ds, hes not filed them, to HMRC, and hes got the wrong cars to the wrong people & the NI numbers are mixed up. if there was an icon for facepalm!! ha ha

Thanks again folks much appreciated

Best Regards

Brian

Comment

As regards any concerns about the 'confidentiality' issue, their should be an agreed grievance procedure.

It would be anticipated that this was used prior to further action (eg Employment Tribunal)
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Brian

If this junior manager has not filed HMRC forms as required within the statutory time-limits and failure to comply carries a penalty, my gut-feeling is that the business owners need to be put in the picture as to what is going on, especially if it could result in a black mark against them, personally, or the business or both.

BB
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

HI Chaps

Yep there is a grievance procedure, but as i advised the people concerend document everything that may be of relevance, and if something happens you are not happy about put this to the MD jointly and ask for a meeting, that is minuted!

BB your absolutely right, it has been pointed out, i had to calm one director down he wanted blood ha ha.

As, i say "look at what screwed up rather than who" first.

looking at the bigger picture i t would seem to me that the accounts manager is being made to punch above his weight i think, or just lazy, ihow can i say this without it coming out wrong as you not allowed to say anything anymore.

The owners & the manager in question are from er the mmm same ethic group (god know what the correct PC term is), which results in a lot of wagons being put in a circle & lots of face saving!

Rather than just saying oops sorry my mistake what do i / we need to do to correct this ASAP.

Oh the joys of a the office, glad i will be out rest of this week and most of next :-)

regards brian

Comment

Is the legal status of the business a sole trader, unincorporated partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company or public limited company? If the owners of the business are not keeping a firm grip on the tiller, the rocks marked HMRC and BIS are going to smash the good ship Business to smithereens.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X