• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Any comments...ATOS & GPs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any comments...ATOS & GPs

Saw this and just wonder how one is supposed to prove "unfit for work" if one is not actually dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-23353623
    Tags: None

Re: Any comments...ATOS & GPs

The Rent-A-Quote should be reported to the GMC. What they have said goes against the Hippocratic Oath, especially if the patient is genuinely not fit for work. I have come across cases where DWP has threatened GPs and hospital consultants with legal action for daring to say someone is not fit for work. However, it is my understanding that those who carry out the WCAs are being investigated by the GMC, NMC and HCPC.

Be in absolutely no doubt, the GMC can strike doctors off the register for doing these WCAs. One GP who used to carry them out for the DWP's forerunner, the DHSS, was repeatedly finding in favour of the DHSS at appeals when the evidence indicated to the contrary. The GMC found the GP guilty of serious professional misconduct. The GP was struck off the register for six months, required to work under supervision for the two years after the striking off period ended and banned from carrying out medicals of a similar nature for life.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

A Local Medical Committee should represent the views of GP's, not lay down rules.

Many GP's are happy to supply supporting evidence for their patients; after all,who has a better understanding of a patient's problem, the GP, or some bod at the Capability assessment whose position is quite patently biased.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
        A Local Medical Committee should represent the views of GP's, not lay down rules.

Many GP's are happy to supply supporting evidence for their patients; after all,who has a better understanding of a patient's problem, the GP, or some bod at the Capability assessment whose position is quite patently biased.
        Precisely my thoughts, Charity. In fact, that doctor who blew the whistle on ATOS recently exposed the fact that ATOS were altering reports or pressurising healthcare professionals to alter reports so that they were favourable to the DWP. Seeing as ATOS are paid by results, that practice may well amount to Fraud by False Misrepresentation. Perhaps the SFO need to get involved, if only to stem the flow of taxpayers' money into ATOS's coffers.

Comment

If a Doctor cannot tell atos the facts can you have your records to show them? I think this directive comes from somewhere else

Comment

There are a number of legal implications for the taxpayer and employers as a result of this current government's corrupt policy. Claiming a person is fit to work when the evidence indicates to the contrary is a breach of Health and Safety at Work legislation and puts the DWP and any subsequent employer in breach of their statutory duties under the HSAW Act 1974. Also, it potentially invalidates an employer's Employer's Liability Insurance. It is a criminal offence to employ persons without a valid certificate of Employer's Liability Insurance. Which just goes to prove how stupid, reckless and corrupt this current government is.

Comment

"Beware the IDS of Mar.............er, well, whenever, really!!"
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Resources would be put to much more efficient use if ATOS were taken out of the picture altogether and public money intended for those in need were redirected to GPs and genuine "healthcare professionals" (ie ones who do care) allowing them to do to to their job according to clinical need. ATOS is a total waste of public money - no, it's worse than that: ATOS is a parasitic burden that takes from the taxpayer to fatten profiteers whilst creating a false and barely surmountable hurdle for those for whom the funds were intended, torturing the latter. A completely fraudulent (and deadly for some) con trick on us all.

The Bliar Government advanced the process of eroding the principles of the Hippocratic Oath to a point where the current official ethos is now demonstrably that some people matter and some don't, money being the measure. The process has become enshrined in government. What next? Eugenics? Euthanasia? A cull? All these are making their sinister progress in our brave new world under euphemistic names.

Comment

Comment

MissFM You got it in one its all about money the patient is just a sum on a spreadsheet probably behind expences and perks for management,i when confronted with obstacles put in the way by doctors trying to avoidtratment for my wife have said its down to money to the doctors they actually agreed ,to many times we read there is a shortage of health proffessionals in certain areas but have you evr read of a shortage of penpushers No

Comment

Any comments?

Shambles
                      Disgrace
                      Con
                      Manipulation of statistics
                      Spin
                      Derogatory
                      Callous

Are expletives allowed?
                      Ahh go on!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Trying to prevent GP's from undertaking private work? There is an EU law somewhere stating that 'actions in restraint of trade' are illegal. I wonder if that would apply here.

Comment

Laws concerning restraint and restriction of trade have been an element of English Law for years and may well pre-date any EU directive of a similar nature.

As far as GPs are concerned, most practices are private businesses providing services to the NHS under contract. There are GPs who work directly for the NHS, mainly, in larger district general and teaching hospitals.

Comment

This featured on our local news a few nights ago, and as one affected by it caught my interest. It is ridiculous. The person interviewed said GP's are there to treat their patients, not fill in forms. What are they failing to do if they refuse to opine on an ATOS appeal? Treat their patient correctly.

It is a money making / saving exercise. My father died recently, and you would not believe the battle we had to fight to get him moved to a hospital where he stood a chance of being kept alive. As it turned out, this time old age had taken it's course; however the last two times he regained a reasonable quality of life. We were very surprised to discover that two hospitals within 30 minutes drive of each other, in the same health authority, could have totally different definitions of Do Not Resuscitate. We were more surprised that despite my Dad's wishes to always be given the chance to fight, and thus our wishes for him to not be classed as a DNR, the hospital had still decided he was a DNR. They were persuaded differently!

They might as well have had a rule in place saying 'Give up on anyone aged 80 or over' - a pure money decision, nothing to do with patient care and access to appropriate resources.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                              This featured on our local news a few nights ago, and as one affected by it caught my interest. It is ridiculous. The person interviewed said GP's are there to treat their patients, not fill in forms. What are they failing to do if they refuse to opine on an ATOS appeal? Treat their patient correctly.

It is a money making / saving exercise. My father died recently, and you would not believe the battle we had to fight to get him moved to a hospital where he stood a chance of being kept alive. As it turned out, this time old age had taken it's course; however the last two times he regained a reasonable quality of life. We were very surprised to discover that two hospitals within 30 minutes drive of each other, in the same health authority, could have totally different definitions of Do Not Resuscitate. We were more surprised that despite my Dad's wishes to always be given the chance to fight, and thus our wishes for him to not be classed as a DNR, the hospital had still decided he was a DNR. They were persuaded differently!

They might as well have had a rule in place saying 'Give up on anyone aged 80 or over' - a pure money decision, nothing to do with patient care and access to appropriate resources.
                              My sister and I had to make a decision with regard to "Do Not Resuscitate" with our mother back in November 2012. Up to then, she had been holding her own and doing quite well, despite having a number of health issues. However, she suffered a mild stroke and her GP explained to us that the diabetes she has was slowly causing her major organs to fail. Any attempt to resuscitate would be futile as the failing organs would not be able to cope with the process of resuscitation.

In my honest opinion, I feel you were right to put your foot down with the hospital in your father's case, Labman.

As for that doctor who made the unacceptable comments about GPs providing reports for ATOS assessments, that tit should be reported to the GMC.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X