• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Father's access problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's access problems

Hello,
    My brother in law has just had a child with his ex girlfriend. The child is now 2 months old, and living with the mother and mother's mother. Due to arguments relating to the father's new girlfriend, the mother of the child has now said that he can only see his son twice per week, only at times suited to her, with no real justificiation.

There are no concerns regarding violence etc, or mistreatment of any kind. The brother in law is a good father and, whilst the baby was not planned, they are both attentive parents.

The father's mother went to try and mediate the situation last night, but ended up getting into an argument with the baby's mother who has refused to be flexible, and will not discuss the situation further. The father is now considering taking matters to court in order to reach a mutually-agreeable visiting pattern, set down in stone.

Please can you advise of the steps to do this? In addition, please can you give me some indication of likely timescales and costs?

Many thanks,
    K.
    Tags: None

Re: Father's access problems

Anyone know anything about http://www.fathers-4-justice.org/ ?

(Apart from 'the painting', that is!)

Oh, & Hi Kosenurm (my bad!)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Kosenurm View Post
      Hello,
      My brother in law has just had a child with his ex girlfriend. The child is now 2 months old, and living with the mother and mother's mother. Due to arguments relating to the father's new girlfriend, the mother of the child has now said that he can only see his son twice per week, only at times suited to her, with no real justificiation.

There are no concerns regarding violence etc, or mistreatment of any kind. The brother in law is a good father and, whilst the baby was not planned, they are both attentive parents.

The father's mother went to try and mediate the situation last night, but ended up getting into an argument with the baby's mother who has refused to be flexible, and will not discuss the situation further. The father is now considering taking matters to court in order to reach a mutually-agreeable visiting pattern, set down in stone.

Please can you advise of the steps to do this? In addition, please can you give me some indication of likely timescales and costs?

Many thanks,
      K.
      If no agreement can be reached then the legal recourse must be taken.
      Can I ask whether the times that she has suggested is convenient to him?
      The child cannot be used as a weapon and to be honest, the father's mother should keep her nose out of this since it should be about what is in the best interests of the child and that is paramount. If he is working at the times that she suggests then he should tell her whether she can change the time due to his working. I would simply add that he should at the moment, tread carefully as the child is only 2 months old and bonding with the child is paramount in this early stage of a child's life.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Has your brother in law done everything possible to resolve the situation ( has formal mediation been suggested/ tried ) ? Going to court should always be the last resort.

if he truly has no alternative tell him to pop down to his local magistrates court office who will be able to give him the application form which is c110. From memory the cost of the application is 150 quid. Other costs and the time it will take will depend on how oppositional it is or becomes but you can expect that cafcass will be appointed to do an assessment of both parties and prepare a report making recommendations as to likely future contact and which in itself is likely to take 12 weeks to complete.
        does your brother in law have parental responsibility for the child? (Ie is he named on the birth certificate as the father) if not he can apply to the court for this also.

The courts overriding concern is the welfare of the child and the rights and wrongs of the parents will form no part of their deliberations- so the frequencyand duration of any contact ordered will be based on the child's needs. You also need to remember that the court may order DNA testing to prove he is the father and this can costa round 5-600 quid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X