• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

dismissed incase she falls pregnant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dismissed incase she falls pregnant

My friend was working for the last 3 months on a 3 months probation period and the last week of trail she had food poisoning and the boss said she can not come back until she has a fit note as it was in a chippy. on the last day of her trail, same week as sick, he asked her to go to the shop. he then told her that the trail was up and she no longer had a job, hes reasons was that she would jump for extra hours after being rang at 7pm on a bank holiday whist kids in bed to come in asap. also he also had another working on trail that started same week and said he does not want to keep my friend as she is 24 with 2 kids and she might get pregnant and cant be bothered with dealing with maternity pay, and the other lass is in her 40s so there will be less chance of that happening and did not want to over work her.

Is this classed as a unfair dismissal because she MIGHT get pregnant.

Thanks for in advanced for your replys
    Tags: None

Re: dismissed incase she falls pregnant

Hi carlwayne, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Does your friend have actual proof of the employer's statements?.

If so, what kind of proof?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Highly unlikely the employer wrote it down,as it was a trial period the employer no doubt can terminate it cannot see any discrimination here if she becomes pregnant is the same as if she becomes disabled in either case if it had happened their may be discrimination but can you discriminate against someone on maybes?

Comment

just words he used not wrote it down and also confirmed it with her partner

Comment

Originally posted by carlwayne View Post
          My friend was working for the last 3 months on a 3 months probation period and the last week of trail she had food poisoning and the boss said she can not come back until she has a fit note as it was in a chippy. on the last day of her trail, same week as sick, he asked her to go to the shop. he then told her that the trail was up and she no longer had a job, hes reasons was that she would jump for extra hours after being rang at 7pm on a bank holiday whist kids in bed to come in asap. also he also had another working on trail that started same week and said he does not want to keep my friend as she is 24 with 2 kids and she might get pregnant and cant be bothered with dealing with maternity pay, and the other lass is in her 40s so there will be less chance of that happening and did not want to over work her.

Is this classed as a unfair dismissal because she MIGHT get pregnant.

Thanks for in advanced for your replys
          I'm afraid she has no case for unfair dismissal. What he is alleged to have said, if not overheard by witnesses independent to her, are unfortunately not actionable.

Her trial was up and he decided not to take her on so that is it. There is no case here.
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Her partner may not be viewed as an impartial witness.

There seems to me to be a possible case for direct, indirect & possibly even age discrimination.(Unless he could somehow legally justify hiring only older women)

But I can't see the employer 'holding his hands up' & admitting it, unless he particularly enjoys having the book thrown at him.

(Discrimination due to a 'protected characteristic' is not subject to the (now) 2 year qualifying period)
            Last edited by charitynjw; 15th July 2013, 14:11:PM.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Her partner may not be viewed as an impartial witness.

There seems to me to be a possible case for direct, indirect & possibly even age discrimination.

But I can't see the employer 'holding his hands up' & admitting it, unless he particularly enjoys having the book thrown at him.
              and i think the first sentence is the key. Ultimately he can simply say that she was on a trial period and he chose not to take her on and that is game over.
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

ok Thanks for all your views, i was just wondering where she stood as she alittle peed off with the reasons he gave. but thanks all

Comment

Good luck for her to find another job

Comment

One thing to do is to inform the local Jobcentre Plus office of this chippy owner's neanderthal way of thinking. It does get recorded - or should be recorded - and then flagged up when the employer tries to use JCP to recruit employees.
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X