• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Saffy's Fight With The Gym

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saffy's Fight With The Gym

Ok here we go, early last year we decided that enough was enough and that we would join a gym, so we did some homework and decided on our local David Lloyd, as it had all the facilities that we were looking for. We duly signed up and became very active members and although it's expensive we really did enjoy going.
    On October 29th 2007 I had a fall and broke my 5th Metatarsal in my right foot and consequently was 'out of action'.
    I phoned the gym and explained to a South African guy (who was less than pleasant) what had happened and was told that I had to get a letter from my doctor and send it in with a covering letter and they would suspend my membership for 3 months or cancel it completely. I spoke to our bank and cancelled the direct debit and was going to pay the £60 by cheque until I was better.
    So I got the letter from the doctor (cost me £20) and Les handed it in at the front desk with a covering letter.
    We have now received a notice from CSN (Credit Solutions Northern) a DCA acting on behalf of David Lloyd and they are chasing for £360.

I'm going to pen a letter together for this, so any ideas adjustments would be very greatfully appreciated. Problem is I didn't keep a copy of the doctors letter or the one I sent with it, as at the time I was in a great deal of pain and wasn't thinking straight to be honest. Yes I know its my own fault but hey i'm human ain't I.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 16th January 2008, 09:22:AM.

Re: Saffy's Fight With The Gym

Here's the outline for my letter:

Dear ............

I am writing to you in regard to the gym membership that myself and my partner Ms ........................ have with yourselves.

We joined your gym and enjoyed many happy hours usual the many and varied facilities that you offer. Unfortunately my partner Ms....................... had an accident on 29 October 2007 and broke the 5th Metatarsal on her right foot, which understandably put her out of action for the next couple of months. A few days after the accident she called your offices and spoke to a South African gentlemen (he was not the nicest person to speak to, his attitude was less than sympathetic and was quite frankly rude) and she explained what had happened, she was told that she had to send in a Doctors Letter and that her half of the membership would be suspended for 3 months or cancelled completely. So we got the Doctors Letter and handed it in with a covering letter at your front desk and also called the bank and cancelled the direct debit, hoping that you would furnish me with another form to adjust the payment.
    I have now received a letter from a Debt Collection Agency asking for £360 for outstanding membership fees, and I am very upset to have received this.
    Could you please look into this matter and perhaps we can resolve this problem as soon as possible.

blah de blah de blah to be honest I can't think of anything more to say as I am fuming about this.

Comment

Have got another letter from their DCA, think I'll fire off a letter explaining that its in dispute and to hold off till the matter is resolved.

Comment

A bit quick, might need some checking!

Dear ............

Re: Gym Membership Numbers......................

I and my partner.................. joined your gym on ............................. and have
        enjoyed and used the facilities regularly.

Unfortunately, my partner Ms....................... had an accident on 29th October 2007 and broke the 5th Metatarsal on her right foot. As I am sure you will appreciate this has made use of the gym impossible until the injury heals fully.

Following the accident Ms................ called your office and spoke to a South African gentlemen. He was not the most pleasant of people and his attitude was less than sympathetic. However, details of the accident were relayed to him and he informed Ms............. that she should forward a Doctor’s letter explaining the injury in order that her half of the membership could be suspended for 3 months or cancelled completely.

A Doctor’s letter was duly obtained and forwarded together with a covering letter and hand delivered to your front desk.

Imagine my utter astonishment when I received a letter in the post from a debt collection agency requiring me to pay £360 for outstanding membership fees.

In order to remedy this situation and restore my faith in ................ gym, I require that you write immediately to the DCA concerned informing them that this situation has arisen purely out of sheer incompetency on your part and that the DCA cease and desist from contacting me again. Please forward to me copies of your communication with them as proof you have done this.

I also look forward to your comments on my treatment.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

Hi, I had very little trouble with Fitness first, releasing me from my contract, All you do is take photo's of dirty/faulty showers and changing rooms, and make a note of when equipment or facilities are out of order (the steam room, atleast 3 times aweek).
          write to them telling them you are leaving due to the filthy state of the place, and the constant failing of their facilities, send them the photo's & logs of out of orders, and call them incompetant, they will leave you alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X