• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Cameras in close carers job work place, never informed?! Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cameras in close carers job work place, never informed?! Help!

Nothing stopping the OP looking for the cameras in the 'private' areas,,unless MI5 put them in most cameras can be located

Comment

Ok, all comments are really helpful and calmed me downto be logical? I must point out I have worked for this gentleman for years and felt there was a bond of trust? However I agree that to detect any abuse or wrongdoing a camera in communal areas or his bedroom is completely legitimate, I consider myself to be highly professional in my job, I always without exception treat anyone I care for with respect and dignity. This gentleman is capable of telling one of many people including close family, carers, friends, also day centre staff if he is uncomfortable with any aspect of his care, as he has with previous employees.
      My shift has just finished and I decided to be honest with him and said I had accidentally noticed the camera, his main concern was his father finding out that due too him leaving it on, a staff member knows about the cameras, he is always in fear of his dad chastising him dispite being 40?
      I said that I was concerned about which areas were being covered due to privacy for changing etc. he quickly said there was only 1 camera and it was in his room, but unfortunately I know from just glancing at the screen that the main picture he was viewing was his room but beneath in smaller squares I'm assuming u can choose were various other pictures, I recognized furniture etc, 6 squares in total. I did not want to push it after this as he still has vulnerabilities that I done wish to take advantage of. I feel the responsibility lies with his parents who do all the decision making.

Comment

as you found they were not telling all about location of cameras most people would wonder why you decision of course but something to ne seems wrong here?

Comment

Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean when you said 'most people would wonder my decision?' I think I shall speak too acas and possibly the cab, before bringing it up at the staff meeting as I don't want to give the impression that I am not supportive of security measures but need proof of some sort that I am not being recorded or watched whilst in private areas. Not sure what else I can do? Which other governing body would know the legalities of private work places and permitted camera use?

Comment

I meant most people would wonder why the cameras were where they are. Your decision was meaning you have to decide what to do about it.I for one would seek advice from ACAS or even the police

Comment

Originally posted by calmancool View Post
              Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean when you said 'most people would wonder my decision?' I think I shall speak too acas and possibly the cab, before bringing it up at the staff meeting as I don't want to give the impression that I am not supportive of security measures but need proof of some sort that I am not being recorded or watched whilst in private areas. Not sure what else I can do? Which other governing body would know the legalities of private work places and permitted camera use?
              The ICO (See post #7 above)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by calmancool View Post
                My shift has just finished and I decided to be honest with him and said I had accidentally noticed the camera, his main concern was his father finding out that due too him leaving it on, a staff member knows about the cameras, he is always in fear of his dad chastising him despite being 40?
                This gets worse. Now it seems he's physically abused.

I said that I was concerned about which areas were being covered due to privacy for changing etc. he quickly said there was only 1 camera and it was in his room, but unfortunately I know from just glancing at the screen that the main picture he was viewing was his room but beneath in smaller squares I'm assuming u can choose were various other pictures, I recognized furniture etc, 6 squares in total. I did not want to push it after this as he still has vulnerabilities that I done wish to take advantage of. I feel the responsibility lies with his parents who do all the decision making.
                So just how did you start working for the Addams family?

Comment

You need to speak to the ICO about covert surveillance of employees in the workplace.

The ICO has laid down fairly plain and straightforward guidance for employers. http://www.ico.org.uk/Global/faqs/~/...code.ashx#p=12
                  Last edited by bluebottle; 14th July 2013, 19:44:PM.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I must be clear in that in all the years of working for this gentleman I have never heard seen or suspected any physical abuse or other wise, or I would immediately report to the relevant authorities? When I said chastised I mean his father is quite strict and expects certain standards as an ex military man I think? But it is a verbal thing, I don't agree necessarily with his way of talking too his son sometimes but he does not shout swear or belittle? It is a sense of frustration that I can leave at work, but it can be difficult at times too give someone the opportunities for independence and respect their choices when it can on occasion be a complete waste as there is a dependence.

Comment

Hi calmancool,

I think you now need to take some time out & decide what, if anything, you are going to do about this.

It is pointless agonising over it; be true to your chosen name & make your mind up!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X